Forums Latest Members
  1. Klunkerbill Aug 16, 2015

Hello All,
    I recently picked up an old Omega Automatic, cal. 351. It runs and it was VERY cheap. The watch is a definite 'project' and it's not pretty by any stretch, but it has an interesting feature... the numerals are all in Hebrew. It's got a gold filled Champion bracelet, which was worth close to the price I paid. I reckon you get what you pay for, so I imagine the watch will take a lot of work to straighten out the watch. I thought it might be a wonderful gift for an old mentor of mine, if I can get it in shape. Has anyone heard of this type of dial before? Is it a re-dial? I'm hoping to get the dial redone by International Dial Company, since it's in such poor shape. The only other Omega with Hebrew numerals I could find is a pocket watch, currently on ebay.au. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time. B

$_57-2_2.jpg
    Giff2577 likes this.
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 16, 2015

Looks like a redial.

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 16, 2015

Horrible shape, hope the redial is acceptable to you, the movement, if complete and working, is worth 100$ US.
    If you can stay under $150-200 more, mission accomplished.
    Watch will depreciate, not appreciate.
    Recognizing a significant mentor with a few quid is money well spent in my opinion, would you consider $500 for a good example?
    Is the Hebrew a must?

Edited Aug 16, 2015
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 16, 2015

By the way, great avatar, cross between Sam Elliott, Sammy Hagar, Mickey Rourke and Hulk Hogan, you should be proud.

Edited Aug 16, 2015
  5. Klunkerbill Aug 16, 2015

Thanks for the replies. It was cheap enough that, perhaps, my repairman will want it for parts and give me what I paid for it so I can try again. Uncle Buck, what, no Billy Connolly? I couldn't buy a pint the whole time I was in Scotland. People didn't think I was him, they thought I looked enough like him to warrant a beer. I miss Scotland.

Giff2577 likes this.
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 16, 2015

You are way more macho than Connolly, I just am wondering what your mentor is worth.
    I have one that is a soft spot in my heart and a focus of my life.
    If you feel as I do, don't let a few bob stop you from a statement that may not get another chance to be said.
    Bless you, brother.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

7. Klunkerbill Aug 17, 2015

Thanks very much. It looks like I can get my money back on that one, since it wasn't quite what was advertised (old Seamaster!). If not, it's not a very costly mistake. $125.00. It was an impulse buy and the bracelet is pretty nice. I guess I'll have to come up with something else for the old bean. I'm not sure if an old watch is really his cup of tea anyway. Unfortunately during all of this, now I'VE got the old Omega 'fever'. I'd like to get myself nice, classic dress watch. I've got mid-size Bond-style, but it's just not right for many occasions. I've done a lot of poking around to see what appeals to me and I think I have it narrowed down. My budget is $500.00, so I'm hoping for a mid- late-60s Seamaster cal.565, gold-filled with an alligator strap. I'd love a solid case, but that seems to be about 3X my budget. These cal.565 models seem like a relative bargain in the vintage Omega timeline. What do you think? Thanks to all in this community who are will to share their time and expertise here. I'm sure this forum has helped many, many people make informed decisions on these magical timepieces.

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 17, 2015

Watch our "Private Watch Sales" section, good honest sellers monitored by the forum.
    I found this there and have been most happy, was right in your $500 price range.
    A black, brown or burgundy strap would be more formal. ($20-50), I wear it as a daily beater as my tastes are more for dress watches.

DSCN0205 (2).JPG

Edited Aug 17, 2015
    noelekal and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 17, 2015

Dial looks like a redial done in Israel specifically for that market. I don't think that Omega ever made a Hebrew letter dial, but I can see the novelty value.

The bracelet is not original either, although the "Champion" brand is considered to be one of the better after-market makers.

The $125 paid isn't a bad deal for a parts movement, but it's likely to cost you at least that much to service the movement. And then you still have to deal with that dial.

Not a great investment. Better to spend more and get more.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

10. Klunkerbill Aug 18, 2015

That's a nice one, Uncle Buck.