Forums Latest Members
  1. GaryUFM Sep 29, 2015

Right boys, I know you know what I'm on about here...

...drumming. Specifically, on the steering wheel of the car. I'm a tapper by nature, but in the car I can get very carried away. I've been mindful since I got my watch yesterday that giving it the beans might not be best for the mechanism. I've heard that golf isn't great for it either (not sure if this is ironic or not). Not that I'm a golfer, but I imagine that my drumming is harder on it than that.

Am I being too concerned and overly protective?

Mad Dog likes this.
  2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 29, 2015

Depends on the watch. If it has shock protection, it'll probably survive. Time keeping will get messed up though, most likely.

I've worn my Speedmaster shooting, including shooting left-handed, and haven't had any issues.

Tom

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 29, 2015

Should be phrased as, "Is it safe to wear my (fill in the blank) while going Bonzo on my steering wheel?"
    Should be ok if you wear a watch with shock protection, i.e. not a Ukrainian pocket watch conversion.

4. ulackfocus Sep 29, 2015

Been playing a steering wheel Pearl kit for years with everything from a Seiko diver to an AP dress watch and never had an issue. :thumbsup:

ps - my wife gets annoyed when I use her left thigh as a floor tom.

GaryUFM and Mothra like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 29, 2015

It'll live, any steering wheel inputs vigorous enough to kill the watch will kill you first

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. Rman Sep 30, 2015

Roll the windows down, crank up the Taylor Swift and top off the power reserve.

gophishin, jsaen and ulackfocus like this.
  7. GaryUFM Sep 30, 2015

New PO. On the basis of your replies, I'll continue to drum away. Today I'll crank up The Queen Is Dead and give it the full Mike Joyce!

8. ulackfocus Sep 30, 2015

Don't forget Carly Rae Jepsen and Katy Perry!

gophishin likes this.
  9. abrod520 Sep 30, 2015

Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy....

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 30, 2015

Sorry, but you're getting mostly bad advice so far. :rolleyes:

Here's the real deal...

Drumming on the steering wheel is known to be a significant factor in early failure of certain watch parts, shock protection notwithstanding [citation needed].

If you must drum and drive, you should have a full movement service annually. [reference OEM recommended service intervals for maximum profitability]

And don't forget...

Steering wheel drumming may cause passengers to strike drive, increasing chances of a fatal accident by more than 50%. [reference: http://www.nhtsa.gov/]

gophishin likes this.
  11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 30, 2015

Some might say that you were 'jerking us off' with the title of the post. :rolleyes:

Hijak and alam like this.
  12. Hijak Sep 30, 2015

Was thinking along those lines myself.:D

13. GaryUFM Sep 30, 2015

Don't know what you're talking about...