Forums Latest Members

Views on this excelsior Park EP4?

1. khmt2 Sep 21, 2015

Seeking help from the EP owners for a potential purchase! The font for Excelsior Park seems kosher, but the short subdial hands, though matching the main hands and the indices, is giving me pause.

Appreciate if the EP experts could chime in!

IMG_7926.JPG IMG_7958.JPG

jsaen likes this.
  2. danomar Sep 22, 2015

It was common for EPs of that era to have different subdial hands, and those seem to resemble ones I have seen, but I have not seen that particular dial before. It might be perfectly original. Might not. The movement looks like a 40-68 but it seems either slightly corroded or a bit dirty.

3. Bienne2998 Sep 22, 2015

When you see a watch with that dial you would except a perfectly clean movement.... and when you see a movement like that you would expect a .... let's say... very tropical dial.....

the subdial hands would not bother me.... brands like Gallet, who also used EP movements and was somehow linked to EP used them too.

the subdial minutes hand looks also slightly corroded.... .but how the heck the dial does not?

4. khmt2 Sep 22, 2015

Thanks guys. One possibility is the dial being a service one, as suggested by @Northernman. What's the current going rate for a SS ep4?

5. ulackfocus Sep 22, 2015

It might just be camera angle, but the curve of the SWISS MADE, particularly the way the MADE curves up (it doesn't match the arc of the minute / second track) would lead me to believe it's a redial. After seeing the movement's condition, I would be sure enough to pass on the watch.

Northernman likes this.
  6. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 23, 2015

Gallet sold and marketed Excelsior Park watches in the US.
    EP based Gallet watches are normally only rebadged EPs.
    The watch in question is most likely put together using dial and cases available.
    Have seen them from time to time in the bay. Usually French or Spanish sellers.

Chrome or SS case?

There are nicer ones out there for sure!

7. khmt2 Sep 23, 2015

Thanks everyone for sharing their experience and knowledge. @Northernman, if u have any leads, pls pm me!