Forums Latest Members
  1. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 6, 2015

Well, I've gone and done it and joined the club....
    I managed to secure the Constellation that I wanted to bid on (previous thread -pic below as a reminder)
    I took a bit of a gamble -so here's hoping that there is not just a bag of spanners inside......

Now I know from reading many months of posts on this forum that the first piece of advice from members is going to be "Get it serviced before you wear it!"

So my first question is -where in the UK is the best place to get my Constellation serviced?
    I want to keep the watch as original as possible -i.e. I don't want anything replaced that doesn't need replacing.
    Apart from 'lubrication' and adjusting (if required) the only thing that might need replacing is the crystal.
    -and if it is an original (I can't see an Omega symbol in the pics I have) I would even rather have the scratches polished out than replace it.

The second question would be -any ideas on where I might find a suitable black leather strap with contemporaneous Omega buckle?
    This might seem to be the opposite of 'keeping it original' but whilst the BOR bracelet is great (and I realise just how precious they are to devotees) it's not really my thing (skinny wrists) -so unless I really fall in love with it when I get it -and feel like I can wear it -it is likely to be coming off in favour of a leather one.
    My ideal would be to enact the swap when it was in for service.
    As ever -all advice much appreciated
    Philip
    DSC_0001a.jpg (still giddy from the auction buzz....)

2. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Mar 6, 2015

Congratulations on your Constellation! I'm sure it will look lovely after a little a little attention.

3. imexian Mar 6, 2015

Not a Conny follower, but does look nice and original, great dial, look good!!

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 6, 2015

Many thanks
    The guys (and gals?) on the forum gave it the once over for me -before I went for it - when I had doubts about the dial.
    It's great to have that kind of backup when you don't have the experience the members have.
    I'm hoping that I can get a steer on the best place to get it serviced -because unless you're in the know getting a good 'watch man' can be a minefield -and the last thing I want to do is screw up a beautiful watch.

5. Steve1haggart Mar 6, 2015

Lovely Constellation . Depending on your price and what your willing to pay ? I use STS ( Swiss time services ) they are aproved by omega so you know your in good hands average service around the £300- £400 depending on service .
    www.swisstimeservices.co.uk

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 6, 2015

Thanks Steve
    I'm still grinning like a Cheshire Cat from landing it.
    I've heard that STS are good -but won't they do an awful to more than a basic service?
    It's not the money -I'm more concerned that they will change the crown because it's no longer waterproof or change some of the movement parts (needed or not) because its the correct thing to do in line with an Omega service -and I ideally want to keep as much as I can intact.

7. TNTwatch Mar 6, 2015

I've heard @stefan here on OF and Christian at watchguy.co.uk have good reputation.

8. Steve1haggart Mar 6, 2015

I have two watches in there just now one is a Speedmaster 145.022 they have strict instruction that I'm looking for and there cool with that.if you let then know what you want and what you don't want the are very good in respecting your wishes .

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 6, 2015

That's good news
    I'll get in touch with them to see what they can do
    Any idea what kind of lead in time/timescale we're talking about for a service?
    I've just realised that your avatar is a Connie -nice

10. Steve1haggart Mar 6, 2015

Lead time around 6-7 week depending on work load . I got this connie from my wife at our engagement party it was manufactured the year I was born 66 . Serviced ever two years it never misses a beat.
    Thanks
    Steve

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 6, 2015

Congratulations.

12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 6, 2015

Thanks also TNT -I missed your post -sorry
    I had heard about the Watch Guy when I was looking for someone to service an early 70's Tissot Seastar I was given.
    (that is what led me to Omegas -once I found out that the Tissot Cal. 2481 was the sister movement to the Omega Cal.1481)
    Does Stefan also have a web-site or would it be best to PM him?

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 6, 2015

Oh my god!
    I've just watched the STS video....
    It's all fantastically impressive -but they've got rotating buffers and whizzy orbital sandpapery machines - it's like watching someone perform open heart surgery on your grandmother!
    I'm glad I'm going to have a little time before I receive my watch -so that I can get used to the thought that someone is going to pull it to bits.

14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 6, 2015

and BTW -clever man for popping the question to someone with such exquisite taste.....

15. TNTwatch Mar 6, 2015

No worries, my friend. I have no experience with either and only read about them here and elsewhere. Not sure about website for Stefan but you can PM him directly for sure. Christian has a nice blog and I like that he got pictures of what he's done on the watch for customers.

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 6, 2015

Thank you -I can't tell you how pleased I am that I have eventually secured a Constellation -can't way to actually get it now..

17. Sgt_Bilko Mar 7, 2015

Congratulations on the Constellation. I picked up my first one yesterday. For servicing Rocco at http://www.watchworks.co.uk is not the cheapest or fastest but his work is really excellent. Recently I've heard good things about http://www.watchdoctors.co.uk who cost less than others I have tried but provide a quick 7-10 day turnaround so I've just sent them a watch that requires a quick fix as a test. If anybody else has feedback on them I'd be interested to know.

[​IMG]

Hijak likes this.
  18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 7, 2015

Nice watch! -congratulations to you too
    It looks to be in spankingly good nick.
    Is it rude if I ask where you acquired it -i.e. dealer/shop/auction?

and now the geeky bit
    -do you know the year?
    -and what movement does it have?
    I'm still very much a novice and trying to pick up as much knowledge as I can

There is a similar one up for auction later this month- it says 1961, Cal 561 -but the hands are nowhere near as nice as yours -I posted requesting comments a couple of days ago but have had no responses yet.
    -the one for auction looks good but has a wonky star, which is never a good sign I believe

thanks for the intel on the service guys
    I won't be sending mine for service until the end of March when I get back to the UK -so any report from your experience with watch doctors would be good.

19. Sgt_Bilko Mar 7, 2015

I purchased this from somebody I know who has been around watches all his life, since his father was a watchmaker. He's not like a dealer though with a shop and hundreds of watches on sale.

This is a 1966 Cal 564, which is very well regarded movement from the golden era before it all went a bit dodgy for Omega. Over the years various watchmakers have told me that the movements being made by Omega at that time were incredibly good and historically they were better regarded than Rolex. Constellations were top of the range so if you can find a clean one that has been well maintained you'll own something pretty special that should still be good for regular use.

I have practically lost count of all the Omegas I have from this period but I never had a Constellation until now. This image shows the back. It's all unpolished but very clean. For some reason I like watches from 1966 though I wasn't born until 1968, which reminds me that England have failed to win the world cup now during my entire lifetime.

[​IMG]

Edited Mar 7, 2015
  20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 7, 2015

Lucky you to find such a beauty
    As I posted recently -my ideal would be a Connie like the one I just bought but as late as possible with a 564 inside.
    I did a lot of reading about the astonishing quality of the 500-series movements and the 564 in particular -and that was what convinced me of what I wanted -not just an Omega but an Omega Constellation.
    I (foolishly) let one go by in December -same style, untouched -it even had it's papers....
    From the details it must have been one of the last of its type before the 700-series kicked in.
    Made in around '67 but not sold until 1970.
    -but I didn't know any better then (not that I know much better now!)
    So I was determined to secure this one when it came up.
    I'm guessing it is an early-mid 60's Cal 561 -it'll be a nice surprise when I find out......that was the gamble I took -I've no idea what's inside or what condition it is in.