Forums Latest Members
  1. OMEGuy Feb 3, 2019

The rarer they get, the better they come? ::confused2::

I just saw this one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Omega-Speed...815171?hash=item3401484e03:g:nOsAAOSw6KxcVL1UPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the seller's description:

'Very good condition.'
    'As you can see the watch is in very good condition showing some wear consistent with its age.'

And yes, having left out the wrong bezel and crown as well as the repainted / wrong hands and the polished and scratched caseback, there has to be a disclaimer, of course:

'I will refer you to the detailed photographs for the most accurate description of the condition.'

Is it just me, or are there more and more offers, where words and pictures are not in perfect harmony?

Sometimes this dishonest verbal whitewashing can really get on my nerves... :(

Edited Feb 3, 2019
    superfly and kov like this.
  2. WatchVaultNYC Feb 3, 2019

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. TimtimeIntl Feb 3, 2019

People's descriptions are so subjective it kills me. I'm a Futurematic hound and I see more gold filled watches that are "near mint" with "no brassing" but areas are completely eroded along edges. I like this site because I am learning how to better critique old Speedies. Thx

4. OMEGuy Feb 3, 2019

To be honest, I didn't know the TZ definition of 'very good' and just read:

Very good
    The watch shows what might be considered normal wear by a careful owner who wore the watch regularly (does it look like this here?). Scratches are evident, but no nicks or dings (what about badly overpolished parts?). May have replacement parts (matching or not?) and/or a high quality redial (well, that's hard for me, personally...). Running and keeping good time, though may need minor regulation. A sound, attractive presentation overall. 83-87% (does this watch here look 'sound and attractive' and up to 83-87%? Don't know.)

Yeah, and maybe the seller should state that with his description he's referring to the TZ scale, not to the watch. ;)

Edited Feb 3, 2019