Forums Latest Members

Verification on GMT Master 1675 from 1969

1. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 30, 2015

Good evening. This is a north Year watch for 1969 (my brothers year) It does come with authentication papers and it is, I am certain, authentic. The question is more wether hands, particularly the GMT are original to the watch (On this year you did find both the small and large GMT hand. Of course if anything else stands out please let me know your thoughts. Obviously it is an emotional purchase for me as my brother passed away and a pepsi gmat was his first watch and a significant benchmark for him (in 1990 though so the master II).

I am not a newbie, but neither am I an expert to the level of determining 100%. for what I see it looks good; I look forward to your thoughts and am slowly brazing for bad news.

I am told the following.

Original unpolished case (I read that to be not too polished) with nice bevels, original faded bezel pepsi insert evenly faded. jubilee bracelet 2,6xx,xxx serial -1969

Black matte dial w/ some remaining lume (which is strange to me)

The crown looks a little too new to me, but I guess perhaps someone really could have been extremely careful with this watch ;)

light cream patina evenly aged (the hands do look even on some pics and not so much on others. My feeling is that the white balance and exposure where pushed on the pics to accentuate the faded bezel and make it more pastel.

It's a safe purchase with authenticity papers and a non hassle 3 day return policy. Beautiful watch.

Pics.

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 8.14.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 8.14.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 8.14.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 8.14.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 8.14.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 8.13.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 8.13.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 8.13.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 8.13.05 PM.png
  2. michaelmc Apr 30, 2015

Nice watch. 69-71 era watch as noted. Long E in Rolex and really nice fat font insert on this one. Hard to tell from scans on hands as not in natural light and the brightness alters look. I see some pitting on the hands that show age. I see most small hands on 1.6-1.8 era watches and not many seen after 2.0 by me anyway. I would like to see what year is stamped in case back as this tells extra in with the serial number.
    The nice insert and clean long E dial are really nice. Case does not look unpolished as I can see marks on top of lugs and some other signs although fairly strong bevels. Could be scans or just wear of course. It looks to be a really nice GMT that anyone would be happy to own. m

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 30, 2015

Thank you. SO far so good and right on with what I am seeing.

I asked some questions and they are answering that the hands are indeed original. I can believe that. I do think it either has been polished or perhaps they used some oil to clean it but I see the same marks you do. I am satisfied that any polishing has not been destructive though. The crown they admit may be a replacement but as far as they know it is not.

The watch is supposed to be stamped 1969. either way I'm having it opened and looked at once it arrives but the person looking at the movement and insides is not necessarily reliable for the other stuff.

To be hones, I don't care much if the crown is a replacement, just like with my other birth year (5512) I am not all original parts myself, and certainly neither was my brother, so it looks like a great find so far.

4. michaelmc Apr 30, 2015

Crown is no big deal, tubes and crowns wear and replacements are hardly different from what came on the watch unlike early brevet crowns etc.
    Any competent CW21 Rolex watch tech can check out timing and see if jewels, etc. are oiled properly.
    As I said, very nice example & sounds like you like it as well :) Good luck with it. m

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 30, 2015

Thank you, and thank you for your feedback as well.

6. Fost May 1, 2015

Whahoo ... A 1675 as i love them ! Really really nice piece. I think everything was told but in fact looks good , very good ! Enjoy

Nobel Prize likes this.
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 1, 2015

Thank you Frost.

Now I'm excited...I did look for a while and it took my some time to find one that was not way too over polished and had the right balance AND was 1969. I did see a 1966 that looks amazing but the whole point is for it to be my brothers Birth Year. I'm curious how I will like the Jubilee braelet. Not my favorite, but I have a couple of other bracelets that may fit it.

I had a feeling I did my research right, but somewhere inside I feared it wouldn't pass the OF test. Makes me happy to get such great feedback.

8. Fost May 1, 2015

I love the bezel insert ...it took me a lot a time also to find mine, not a 1675 ...but lovely also...
    image.jpg

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 1, 2015

Looks like a nice watch overall. Since Rolex replaces the crown and tube at every service, if it went back to them even once during it's lifetime, it won't have the original parts that came on the watch. In fact I would say the number of Rolex watches with original crown and tube would be very, very small...

Movement is simple to service - any competent watchmaker can do these.

10. omegastar May 1, 2015

I think the hands are replacement because they are whiter than the hour markers (foto 7), so you should be sure they are not luminova but tritium.
    The bracelet looks used and is the cheapest compared to 7836 in good condition.
    Finally the 4 o'clock marker is missing some lume.
    other than that it is ok, but the price should reflect those flaws I mentioned, for imagine yourself trying to sell the same watch to the seller and he would mention the flaws and diminish the price.