Forums Latest Members

VC Overseas vs Rolex GMT II BLNR

1. EatMan Sep 6, 2016

Debating between VC Overseas and Rolex GMT BLNR. Seen and read plenty about Rollie Batman but not much info on VC and no first hand experience with this brand. Looks like I can get VC Overseas used or GM for about the same or just a couple of thousands more than BLNR, depending on the model. Not really asking which one I should get (I will ultimate get what appeals to me the most) but wanted to hear from owners of VCs, especially Overseas, their experience with the watch. Well aware of the brand's status as one of the Big 3, but want to hear from actual owners about any surprises and issues, good and bad.

Thanks!

2. ulackfocus Sep 6, 2016

The only possible surprise you'll have with a VC is how often you end up staring at it, particularly when you're attention is supposed to be elsewhere.

Knezz, Foo2rama, Chief F1 Fan and 6 others like this.
  3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Sep 6, 2016

I've owned the black-bezel GMTIIc and it is a fine watch, but in the end I prefer the classic aluminum Rolex bezels, so I ended up "downgrading" to a Pepsi 16710 which I never tire of.

At the beginning of this year, I bought a pre-owned VC Overseas, and it is fantastic. During the honeymoon phase I wore it for like 8 straight weeks and it was still within 30 seconds or so. Gorgeous dial, killer JLC movement (the new ones are in-house and quite a bit costlier), and IMO the best looking steel bracelet ever made. Sporty, thin, modern but still elegant. If I was forced to come up with a negative, the crown is a bit small and tricky to operate for my fat thumbs.

I like my Rolexes, but the VC feels special whereas the GMTII are much more common.
    Capture.JPG

kkt, empdx, SeanO and 12 others like this.
  4. EatMan Sep 6, 2016

Thanks for the feedback! Really helpful because you own(Ed) both watches. Really like the new ones but don't want to spend that much. Pretty much looking at the same watch as yours but grey/black.
    image.jpeg
    Maybe chrono. image.jpeg

5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Sep 6, 2016

The chronographs are fantastic too. When I bought my 3-hander the seller wore his chrono (I had the option to buy either one - I wanted the 3 hander since most of my other purchases the last 2 years had been chronos) so I got to spend some time with it as well. The big date is a great feature.

Just personal preference, but I recommend the texture dial over the smooth and the steel bracelet over the rubber strap.

The textured dial (IIRC) has been dropped by VC for the newest generation, which is too bad. It really is mesmerizing and to me it was a defining feature, even though the satin finished version looks great too. And the bracelet is over $2k if bought separately (again going off memory) and also a defining feature of the Overseas family. Not that the rubber strap is going to be cheap, but if you're going to get an Overseas, I definitely recommend the bracelet to get the full experience.

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 6, 2016

Both great watches. Not that into the Overseas design personally. I bought my GMT Master II new just before Batman. It has a nice life story attached to it, so its mine till the grave but I'd still love a Bat Man. I'd go with Rolex. Great all rounder.

7. EatMan Sep 6, 2016

Totally agreed, get the SS bracelet. Really like he unique design. I did not know the textured dial vs smooth. Will definitely keep that in mind. Looking to stop by AD this weekend to get a better feel for this brand.

8. Superdoc Sep 6, 2016

I have to say that I love the Overseas Chrono -- The GMT 'Batman' (Really? Batman? Batman was Black/Black or Black/Grey... never Black/Blue...but what the hell... the name stuck)... anyway, The GMT 'Batman' is surprisingly sweet!

I had the first GMTc... but never quite bonded with it and liquidated it as soon as I had the LiquidMetal PO, But I am somewhat enamored with the 'Batman'... that little splash of blue makes a huge difference...

They are sooo different though... it's apples vs oranges...

Both are great... it really comes down to the whole 'Rolex Stigma'... if the 'Status Symbol' will serve you... go Rolex - much more recognizable, and a great watch as well.

If you want to be under the radar, but impress the true Wis - VC all the way... the finishing and the details on the VC are truly spectacular...

(here's mine)... 2D9A6618.JPG 2D9A9724.JPG 2D9A9746.JPG 2D9A9759.JPG
    and yes... Bracelet all the way...

raknieborak, Knezz, WurstEver and 8 others like this.
  9. Superdoc Sep 6, 2016

of course... to be fair...

DSC09164.JPG 2D9A1243.JPG 2D9A1246.JPG

20160814_183145.jpg 20160813_141235.jpg

I guess I'm really no help at all....

::shy::

Edited Sep 6, 2016
    Speedmasterfan88 and Ree like this.
  10. Slipstreamer Sep 6, 2016

VC Overseas Chronograph gets my vote.:)

Chief F1 Fan and Archer like this.
  11. EatMan Sep 6, 2016

image.png
    Beautiful Picts! Oh, you definitely helped. Seeing those photos... BLNR is nice but no comparison to VC (yeah say that now but see me in 6 months with both. Sigh ...)

No Rolex stigma in my neck of the woods. If anything subs are a dime a dozen and so makes me actually want to avoid looking like everyone else. Not much of a status symbol when every kid in the block has one. BLNR is the only maxi lug Rolex I like so at some point I will succumb and buy one but now totally digging that textured VC chrono.

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 7, 2016

My feelings exactly

ATWG likes this.
  13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 7, 2016

I dont like this rolex model.... At all. And normally VC would beat Rolex for me in most cases.

That said, in this case incant say that would be the VC i would go for. I dont even see the paralell here. You tell me the VC or an explorer ok, but you're going all the way to the BLNR?

Anyway, if you have to get the overseas id go black dial, but i would consider actually getting a more classoc VC and an explorer, or aqua terra, or something else to get your fix on this model type.

Edited Sep 7, 2016
  14. SeanO Sep 7, 2016

fekkin' hell Sergio, you might need to lay off the piss

15. ATWG Sep 7, 2016

Love GMT's but I have to agree with this sentiment.

16. ATWG Sep 7, 2016

+1

17. EatMan Sep 7, 2016

Why do you need parallel? You make it sound like we here spending too much time staring at silly little anachronistic trinkets are rational in decision making. They are sports watches, so close enough for me. Is it silly for me to like a voluptuous blond and a slender athletic brunet at the same time? They are both attractive and I like them. good enough reason for me.

upload_2016-9-7_9-45-37.png

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 7, 2016

You are all responsible, I'll have you know, for my lack of resolve in the face of a very nice all original 1675 my Italian friend (UG and Rolex wonk) just waived under my nose this week! It will join my modern black ceramic GMT in my collection. ::facepalm1:: So much for my hiatus. ::screwloose::

I have to confess to a serious obsession with VC. Historiques American 1921 to be precise.

[​IMG]

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 7, 2016

My vote

image.jpeg
    Longbow and Larry S like this.
  20. EatMan Sep 11, 2016

Stopped by a local AD to try on VC Overseas today. Had both "old" and "new" models. But no black chrono that I am really digging. The older white chrono looked great though. The Rolex AD across the store was closed so could not do head to head comparison but strongly leaning towards VC.