Forums Latest Members

VC Overseas a Genta design?

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 25, 2012

Was looking at this piece on eBay which I like, but I've done way too much watch shopping lately to go for...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacheron-Co...Wristwatches&hash=item19d4806ebc#ht_507wt_899Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

But I had no idea the Overseas was a Gerald Genta design. I knew the Patek Nautilus and Audemars Royal Oak were both his designs but did he really design the main sports watch line of all three great houses of Switzerland within a 5 year period?

2. NT931 Apr 6, 2014

Unearthed this old thread while researching the VC Overseas (not for me! But for a friend). Looks like there's no consensus on whether GG designed the Overseas or not.

But out of curiousity , though it's not a watch that gets discussed much - anyone here own one? How does it wear?

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2014

4. bieb1 Apr 6, 2014

Funny to see this thread again. I do not own such a watch, but nearly owned the one in this thread that sold on Ebay. I am almost a 100% sure that this watch was acquired at an auction near Geneva, because I was there, saw & handled the watch and bid on it - not enough unfortunately. As for how it wears, I can only comment on wearing it for a couple of minutes, but it is quite a thin watch and relatively light in weight and understated compared to its contemporary brethren, the Patek Nautilus and AP Royal Oak. And I still beat myself up for not having bid more at the auction......never seen one since!

5. NT931 Apr 6, 2014

Ok, this was the one Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network(via friend) that triggered my curiosity - sold by fabsuisse , with B&P. Just in case anyone's keen...

6. ulackfocus Apr 6, 2014

Almost bought an identical watch, without B&P, for just over $4k several years ago. As nice as it is, I like the Aqua Terra better so I held out for Omega to make a blue dial and was rewarded last March.

7. opticalserenity Apr 24, 2014

I think the VC Overseas at around $4k is an amazing piece. It's not easy to get into that class of timepiece for under < $8k.

Traveler likes this.
  8. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 29, 2014

If it's not a Genta, it certainly looks good enough to pass as one :)
    [​IMG]

9. Apa Apr 29, 2014

I need two more hands.....

Trev likes this.
  10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 29, 2014

This is my favorite cross..........

Supermansam likes this.
  11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 29, 2014

...... except for the one on a Vacheron dial.

ulackfocus likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Apr 30, 2014

I second that motion.

[​IMG]

Not bad for a 40 watt desk lamp, eh? Didn't even clean the crystal.

Stewart H likes this.
  13. eustace May 1, 2014

Hi Trev,

Genta or not, my Overseas say hi to his 222 elder.

vacheron overseas.jpg

-Eustace

cicindela and Dogmann like this.
  14. Chief F1 Fan Apr 3, 2016

I have the same piece, happy 55th birthday to me. IMG_9977.jpg

Northernman and Dogmann like this.
  15. Rman Apr 3, 2016

The Overseas evolved from the 222. From all the reading I have done I'm quite convinced the designer was Jorg Hysek. Being that Genta was hot stuff at the time it served VC to be vague about the origin of the design and Genta seemed to play along, quietly taking credit.
    Alex at Hour Lounge (who works for VC) finally ends the debate here:
    http://www.thehourlounge.com/en/vacheron-constantin-discussions/genta-myth-568668
    It is a fantastic Hysek design we should give him and the VC team kudos, Genta has plenty:D

16. Dogmann Apr 3, 2016

Hi all,

The original watch posted was not an Overseas but a 222 and its predecessor it was made to celebrate VC's 222nd birthday and them having been the longest continuous production of watches by any watch company quite an achievement IMO. Unfortunately they only made 222 of them and you will be lucky to find one for sale at those sort of prices listed if and when one does appear they seems to command very big money in today's market.

The VC Overseas 3 hander as shown on the other pictures and listings are still available but you need to be careful as they come in various sizes form a 30mm ladies size and boys size 35mm and full size 37mm sizes to for the vintage ones they also come as both in quartz and automatic versions and with both stick and arabic dials and even a combination of the two. The current production models still come in 2 sizes being small ladies @36mm and large @ 42mm.

Very recently I have been considering a really nice blue dial version from 2001 that is currently available @£4000 recently serviced and with box and papers. Price wise they seem to go from £3000 -£5000 dependant on version and age and with or without box and papers. I would need to move my 2006 Rolex Sea Dweller to make it happen which is why I am still holding off for now, but I really am drawn to it even if it is only 37mm there is just something about it's look that really appeals to me.

Marc

17. Dogmann Nov 12, 2016

Hi all,

Well I've just had a really bad last 6 months with my back pain and even on the huge amount of opiate meds and my last Op in August 2015 my condition continues to get worse which has meant it has taken me a lot longer to do anything about getting the VC Overseas. I decided I much prefer the Gen 1 version and found myself most attracted to the Arabic/Military dial as opposed to the 3-6-9 layout of the Gen 2 I also prefer the cleaner look of the bezel without the extra piece by the crown and the smoother look of the clasp without the button sticking out. Also not forgetting the fact this version is based on the Girard Perregaux 3100 caliber which is a VC 1311 and has hacking seconds and is a certified Chronometer. It only arrived today but I have to say I'm loving it on the wrist and the build quality is just awesome and its so thin compared to the Rolex Sea Dweller I part exchanged for it. That's all I can think of for now but of course here are some pictures.

30637047540_38396c172d_c.jpg 30822086702_b3bd30c153_c.jpg 30897573746_4dae1028a1_c.jpg

Edited Nov 28, 2016
  18. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 13, 2016

wear it in good health (so may your back-pain cease soon ;-)

19. Dogmann Nov 16, 2016

Hi al128

Thanks for your good wishes but after 16 years and multiple major back surgeries that ship has long sailed, I have a fusion of the spine from my L3-S1 disc's with rods, pins, screws, cages and bone grafts and whilst it has helped stabilise my lower back. I'm on 360mg OxyContin and 240mg OxyNorm which is enough to kill an elephant and unfortunately still the pain is unreal virtually 24/7.

Marc