Forums Latest Members

Variance between “Production date” scales/sites

1. Ando Jul 12, 2019

Hi All,

Currently looking for a birth year speedmaster (1977) and to my limited experience there seems to be some discrepancies between the oft quoted hartmann scale, speedmaster101 and other production year sites.

I understand it’s an inexact science but I’m wondering if others have purchased a watch based on the estimates of these sites and then had an Omega extract either confirm or deny that information? And if so what site was the closest to the extract?

Thanks in advance.

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 12, 2019

Ilovemyspeedmaster is by far the most useful and accurate but you still can't rely 100% on it as watches can and do come back with unexpected dates, particularly 1970s Speedmasters, though I think the picture is better in the late vs early 1970s. The Hartmann stuff, while useful for some models is not all that great for use with Speedmasters where the picture is rather different to general production.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. OWa Jul 12, 2019

I bought a 76 some time ago. I wasn‘t looking for a birth year watch but I checked on Ilovemyspeedmaster if my serial number was appropriate for a 76. I ordered an extract after I recieved the watch. The estimated date from Ilovemyspeedmaster and the production date were pretty close. Good luck with your hunt!

4. Ando Jul 12, 2019

Thanks. After some trawling through here, it’s seems that (anecdotally at least) ilovemyspeedmaster provides fairly close dates when compared to an extract.