Forums Latest Members
  1. Hvacman May 4, 2014

I am watching this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281325631752Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    I am on the lookout for something similar, but of course want quality at a fair price so I am trying to learn more (with the help of you good folks!) as well as be patient.

it looks good to me except the weird Smudge near the 12 marker.
    Case is obviously polished, but not so much that it's ruined??

my understanding is the asking price is high.
    Do any of you have a rough guideline $ range that a '60s Gold pie pan Constellation 561/564 condition would be considered reasonable Priced?

all comments on condition welcome.
    thanks in advance

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 4, 2014

Here's a close up of the dial, showing the flaw at 12:

[​IMG]

If you look closely, it seems that this is no smudge. It looks more like glue. Not sure what would have happened to the dial to have such a poor repair.

The case is in decent condition. The bottom left lug looks pretty sharp in this photograph. Everything else is as it should be, except the buckle. I'm thinking a good one with a box should be around $3,500, maybe a little more in better condition. MSN knows a lot more about current value than I.

I don't know how to balance out the condition issues, so maybe it would be best to pass on this one and try to find a better one.
    gatorcpa

3. pitpro Likes the game. May 4, 2014

Nice catch.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 4, 2014

I would have thought high $3ks with box & papers. I paid mid $3k for a similar one without B&P.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 4, 2014

What a remarkably annoying detail that glue at 12 is. I'd stare at that every time I looked at the watch.

6. Hvacman May 4, 2014

agreed and thanks for the replies. So general consensus is closer to $3500.00 is closer to the going price.

And as a newbie honing his skills to differentiate good from bad, aside from the smudge at 12:00 it looks pretty good/correct though right?

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 5, 2014

Agree.........it is worse than evenly spread patina dial or flecks.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 5, 2014

Note that I said that a "good one" with a box was worth about $3,500.

That bad attempt at a repair knocks down the value quite a bit in my book. It would cost several hundred at least for the skilled labor to unfix and re-fix the dial.

gatorcpa

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 5, 2014

If you had 10 , I would buy all of them at that price :D

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 5, 2014

If I had 10, I would sell you 9. :rolleyes:
    gatorcpa

UncleBuck likes this.
  11. John R Smith May 5, 2014

Perhaps that mark is not glue but a flake of lacquer which has chipped off. From the way the shadows go it seems to me to be more of an indentation rather than a raised blob of something on top of the dial.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 5, 2014

I disagree, but can't say more without the watch in hand.

Looks to me like pressure on the marker caused some excess glue to ooze out. I suppose it also could be excess lacquer after cleaning or repair. However, today, lacquer is sprayed on for a more even coating. I do think the dial was repaired and/or cleaned.

Rather careless, as this excess probably could have been cleaned up before it set.
    gatorcpa

13. Hvacman May 6, 2014

::popcorn::