Forums Latest Members
  1. Kja Aug 30, 2015

Hello! I'm new to the forum, my name is will and I've been really into old omega's since I got my grandfather's old Omega after he passed. It is in so bad condition though I just can't afford to fix it yet. I haven't even opened it because I don't have a key for the back but I would guess the movement is in good condition knowing my grandfather. The dial and crystal are so bad I can't even make out what it is besides it saying automatic and its gold filled. So untell I can afford to fix it I bought a pie pan constellation that's steel because it is the same case style exactly to remind me of him and I'm more of a steel guy than a gold guy.

So anyway I just wanted to say hi and I will ask alot more questions after I can take some good pictures of both watches.

Also I'm kinda curious why it is that the tool watches are worth so much more from this period, when it seems like for new watches, a Globemaster costs a couple thousand more than the speedy pro or sm300. It seems like pie pan Connie's are a bargain compared to speedmasters and vintage sm300 from the 50's\60's.. I thought constellation was top of the line so should cost more? Kinda makes me want a seamaster now even though I know the piepan Connie is the watch that made me melt when I saw it and makes my heart flutter!! Ha-ha.. Sad but true..

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 30, 2015

People who bought those "tool" watches actually used them every day for their intended purpose. That makes finding examples that have not been improperly repaired or cosmetically destroyed next to impossible. Those very few survivors are rare and expensive.

Constellations are rather dressy watches, many people wore theirs only on special occasions. Not that nice examples are common, but there are more of them around today than these lesser models that were used and sometimes abused by their original owners. Remember that the Ranchero model was Omega's budget model in the late 1950's, selling for well under $100 when new. Today, they are one of the more expensive vintage Omegas, mostly because so few of them exist in collector worthy condition today.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. Kja Aug 30, 2015

Actually that makes allot of sense, is sad to hear though, I wish there were more around, they all are just so wonderful I hate for them to fade into father time. The new ones really are just not the same and much too thick and blingy to compare. I just love the soul these old watches have. Thanks for taking the time to reply and making sense of the vintage weirdness.

erpin9 likes this.
  4. erpin9 Aug 30, 2015

Gatorcpa is right, its a matter of supply and demand.

5. conder Aug 30, 2015

6. conder Aug 30, 2015

on the subject of blingy , i do confess to owning an omega f300hz with a blue and gold lapis dial . Its only 14 gf but it definetely comes under the heading of blingy and clearly a dress watch not a tool watch , I would hazard a guess that it is quite rare in itself .