Forums Latest Members
  1. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Nov 19, 2013

Just trying to get an opinion of members on whether they consider an "extract of records" from Omega as a significant enhancement to a sale? Or in other words, would you be willing to pay a bit more for a an example being sold along with an extract (when no other validating documents are available - like the original warranty).

Personally, I would be willing to pay extra, especially with models that are known to be made from NOS parts (SM300, Baby Polprof 166.0250, Polprof 166.077 and other vintage chronographs).

2. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2013

Extracts are great for rare watches, but only if all the pertinent information is included. Not worth the paper it's printed on if half of it is missing.

3. cristos71 Nov 19, 2013

It would certainly encourage me to pay closer to market value than I normally like to pay, but only if it was for what I consider to be a very collectable piece. If it was for an "average" model, and we all have our own definition of that, then it would not add any value to me and certainly not the 70 Euros that it costs to get it.

4. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2013

I'd say anything more valuable than a Centenary or DeLuxe is worth considering getting an abstract for.

5. cristos71 Nov 19, 2013

For me it is more the early divers models where the risk of the movement being switched at some point due to water ingress is the greatest. I had a very nice SM 300 165.024 cal. 552 a while back and decided to pull an Extract, needless to say, it was not good news and I learnt my lesson the hard way. 70 euro's for a worthless piece of paper and a de-valued watch ::puke::

6. jbhout Nov 19, 2013

Exactly what information is contained in the extract of records?

7. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2013

[​IMG]

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 19, 2013

thing is, I get the impression Omega includes information the customer supplies on the Extract a little too readily, thereby giving the impression of greater authenticity than there really is. For example, if the customer notes 'black dial' for a given watch (and we all know redialers love to go with black dials), then Omega simply puts that in the Extract, whether that is reflected in its Archives or not.

Am I off base in this suspicion?

9. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2013

Can't answer that, but they do require pictures showing the movement and inner case back.

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 19, 2013

NOW they do, but that's a recent requirement. As recently as last year - not necessary.

11. trim Nov 19, 2013

I think your suspicions are off base. If what the user enters doesn't tally I guess they could refuse to issue a certificate.

Anyway, my personal experience:

I told them I had a black dial, heck - I even handed the watch directly to the archivist while standing in the museum, but he would not put it in the description. There was no question about the originality of the watch - but he said they only put on the certificate what was in the archive entry. Nothing more.

So, why was I standing talking with the archivist, in the museum? Well they had made an error on my original certificate, and I happened to enquire while I was there - and they called him down. He was most apologetic and made a corrected replacement certificate immediately. And gave me an Omega moonwatch anniversary pen. And an Omega Swiss army knife case opener. Good visit :)

Do they now? It doesn't say that on the website (but I didn't go through all the steps)

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 19, 2013

I was taking Dennis' word for it, but I do know that last year I was able to get extracts just by filling out their form - no pics required.

13. trim Nov 19, 2013

I always figured Denis was just being 'special'.

14. pascs Nov 19, 2013

No pics required of my Speedmasters that I got the extract for recently. I was mainly interested in being 100% sure that the movement actually came in that particular watch ..................and its something interesting to have too :)

15. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2013

When I got the extract for my Seamaster Pie Pan 2757 caliber 355 they asked for the pictures. Might have something to do with so many people confusing what a pie pan is (as evidenced by the multitude of misdescribed ones on eBay).

16. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Nov 19, 2013

The last extract I ordered (about 1.5 years ago) all that was needed was the form, no pictures. From what I have observed over the years, they simply supply the information they have in the records and this does not typically include dial color or style.

17. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2013

I'm pretty sure the extract for my Constellation 2943 had the dial information (black with rose / pink gold markers) listed on it. Another member ( alam ) owns it so they have the extract too.

18. Melhadary Nov 19, 2013

I've ordered quite a few extracts myself, with only a one time request from them for pictures (that was with my SM 300, ref. 2913), only one or two with dial info.

Surprisingly, though, my most recent request for an extract was unusually delayed, and then I received this response over the email:

"Due to the nature of vintage archives in certain cases information has not survived, is unreadable or even missing. We regret to inform you that unfortunately the provided serial number (12.xxx.xxx) falls onto that category, so we are unable to issue an Extract of the Archives. Therefore we will issue a full refund of your payment. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

:confused: They have always been exceptional and helpful with me, and in some cases, we've had conversations over the email regarding the watches in question, but this time, this one threw me off!

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 19, 2013

It looks like they really want to apologize to you. I even could not buy the pen when I was there. Out of Stock.

20. trim Nov 19, 2013

They must have done, I've just seen how much they seem to sell for on ebay. :whistling: