Forums Latest Members

Value of boxes and papers in resale?

1. rwilner May 12, 2015

All other things being equal...condition, etc...how much additional value do boxes and papers add to the resale value of a watch?

Also...how much additional value does the watch being AD purchased vs grey market add?

2. ulackfocus May 12, 2015

Simple rule of thumb: the higher end the watch, the more value the box & papers have.

That's up to the buyer. If you like to roll the dice, go grey market. Don't be surprised if you get a refurb or second, and remember you won't get a factory warranty. I don't think it's necessarily quantifiable in dollars or even percentage, but I'll go AD every time - especially since my AD comes close to grey market pricing anyway.

Prange likes this.
  3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. May 12, 2015

It also depends on whether the papers (warranty) are still valid.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 12, 2015

E-diddy likes this.
  5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 12, 2015

Just recently read a thread from a member here that bought a Speedy from a gray market re-seller, which he thought was new. Sounds like the watch is 5+ years old and in need of a service due to running slow 60 seconds a day. Pain to unwind this one.... simply not worth it.

I would rather buy used and account for paying for a service than buy gray market. Not fun reading his post, but certainly opened my eyes.

6. rwilner May 12, 2015

The only reason I always look for boxes and papers is that I know it impacts resale. After all, you dont wear the box. Unless you're a weirdo.

I have bought all 3 ways...new from AD, new grey, and used with papers. I've had great luck with all 3.

Its odd that b&p impacts the secondary private party market significantly, but doesn't seem to impact the used retail/dealer pricing.

7. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan May 14, 2015

I guess in the instance of buying used from a reputable dealer, Their brand is a kind of provenance and perhaps more reliable thank getting box and papers via a private transaction

8. SeanO May 14, 2015

you're also in the "neat and tidness freaks" end of the market where even the wrapping paper has value.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 14, 2015

But if I really want it I would buy it watch head only ;)

Prange likes this.
  10. usernamehere May 15, 2015

As they say...buy the seller.

I only care about box and papers if I know I'm going to flip. I have yet to flip anything

11. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 15, 2015

I don't sell anything...and I really groove on the box & papers for entertainment purposes..."Lionel Train Box Syndrome". I keep everything...right down to the original crystal protector and case back protector as well as the original bags (see pics below)...and I enjoy viewing all the stuff several times a year. I will admit that I did not save the blue plastic protectors that came on the Speedy NATO strap's stainless steel hardware...I ended up accidentally destroying the protectors during removal. Anyway, good times...

image.jpg image.jpg
  12. E-diddy May 15, 2015

Good topic! I aways buy with the primary purpose of wearing, but do have reselling in the back of my mind since I know my taste in watches evolves. I think @Mark020 made a good point. For vintage, b&p command a premium; for modern, a lack of b&p results in a discount.