Forums Latest Members
  1. rogart ray it again, Ram. Mar 1, 2015

What is the value of this ? Thinking of bidding on it . It looks pretty good . But it's non working and is missing the part where the serialnumber is In the movement . No bid yet at starting bid $560 . How hi should i go ? Only one picture sorry . 1162/172 bracelet .

0.jpg

2. Poday Mar 2, 2015

Not any people work on these, and there is a real chance that the only way to get it working is to find a donor movement.

Difficult to tell condition from an overexposed photo, but you can see a lot of scratches on the crystal, so I would suspect similar condition on the case. Based on that and the fact that it's DOA, I would only buy it if it had parts I needed for something else.

rogart likes this.
  3. rvrv520 Mar 2, 2015

no bid because not working and missing some parts...
    but if you need for a project the price is good..
    Dante

rogart likes this.
  4. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 2, 2015

Paul at electric watches can work on these as can STS, standard Speedsonics of this model (this is a nice example) £1000 - £1400, Speedsonic Lobster variants £1650 - £2250 at the moment.

I can provide parts if required.

Tom

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  5. rogart ray it again, Ram. Mar 2, 2015

I shall see if i can get a friend to look at it before the bidding starts ? Actually think it looks pretty good . I have seen polished speedsonic on ebay sell for much more . I rather have a few scratches then a polished case . And i am sure that Paul can fix it . Only think it's missing the little part in the movement where it says it's an Omega .

6. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 2, 2015

The movement plaque wouldn't be the end of the world, as long as the plating is the pinkish omega plating not silver, silver denotes the movement would have come from a different manufacturer.

Hope you snag it, they are great watches and lets not forget that 18 of these were issued to NASA in 1978 as part of Alska III and passed all the NASA tests (although the NASA examples had radial dial and the cases were manufactured in the USA), those test watches didn't have serial plates or movement plaques either

Tako Yaki, tyrantlizardrex and rogart like this.
  7. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 2, 2015

At best an uninformed statement.
    I have several here in Europe that would gladly service this.
    Paul at Electric Watches UK is very good and enthusiastic.
    Parts are an issue but donor f300 movements or their equivalent are still plentiful.

Cheers.

Tako Yaki and rogart like this.
  8. Poday Mar 3, 2015

Well, unfortunately I have suffered a typo:confused:... "Not any" should have been "not many", which is true (though there are obviously some options out there). Still, unless it is an exceptional example, I don't think buying a non-runner makes a lot of sense with a Speedsonic, especially if the potential buyer doesn't know the reason it's not working. The odds of having to find a donor movement are too high to justify the risk.

9. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 3, 2015

Hi,
    If the watch is not running parts can(mostly) be taken from any other of the f300 movements. A cheap and ugly (but running) gold plated Titus, Tissot, Eterna, Certina or Omega (to name a few) may do as a donor. Mostly it is down to a coil or index wheel issue.
    The Omega movement has different finishing of the plates, but the plates are not what you would look for to get a otherwise good movement back running again.
    The chronograph module on the Speedsonic is a Depuis Depraz one placed on top of a pucka f300 movement.
    Factor in a service (USD3-400) and a donor movement/parts (most guys working on these have donors in hand already) at USD150-200.
    Make the maths, and if you think it adds up, then go for it.
    I like the looks of the posted Speedsonic, and I think some resurrection work would be well deserved.

Cheers!

10. rogart ray it again, Ram. Mar 3, 2015

All depends on what the auction stops at . If it becomes to expensive i back of . Looks like the day and date wheel is caput . A service and some new or donor parts .

Northernman likes this.
  11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 3, 2015

Paul at electric watches is repairing my f300 right now, total estimate including parts is £102, though it is not a chronograph.

rogart likes this.
  12. rogart ray it again, Ram. Mar 3, 2015

I like to repair watches instead of buying a nice one from the start . It's something in the journey to the finished watch i like . And saving a watch from the dead is always rewarding . £102 isn't much money considering that it's serviced and repaired . You don't service a mechanical/automatic watch for that .

lenny likes this.
  13. rogart ray it again, Ram. Mar 7, 2015

Didn't went so well with the auction for me . I bid approx to $1000 but somebody bought it for $1010 . Good price maybe .

Edited Mar 7, 2015
  14. jimmytf86 May 15, 2018

15. ac106 May 15, 2018

why are you resurrecting old threads just to ad a link? is that your website?