Forums Latest Members

Valuation / Potential After Servicing - Seamaster 2828-5 - Cal 470

1. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 12, 2013

Hi,

Sorry to do this so soon after joining but I'd really like some (financial) advice on the following watch.

SAM_3273.JPG SAM_3264.JPG SAM_3266.JPG SAM_3267.JPG SAM_3270.JPG

It's been sat in the drawer for a while, one of those "on a whim" purchases but I didn't realise it was only 31mm at the time.
    I took it into a watchmaker yesterday as I was never confident of trying to take off the press-in caseback. He gave me the 2828-5 case reference and 470 caliber number. The movement literally gleamed but a service is required as the timekeeping isn't up to scratch.
    I was quoted $350 for the service.
    The watchmaker was quite surprised when I declined and suggested I could get $1,500 for it serviced and on a nice band.
    I took it along to a dealer and was offered $400 on the spot. They were impressed with the movement (sorry I didn't get any pictures) and also the dial. Said they could have offered more if it was a larger case.

I've had a look on the Vintage Omega Database
    http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database
    "Caliber number: 471
    Created in 1955
    19 jewels
    Together with cal. 470 = Omega's first gents' automatic rotor caliber."
    The dealer told me the rotor was special and something about a tail, but it was a bit over my head.

I've looked at eBay completed listings but I'm really not experienced in this era of watches and there are so many variations in the range.

I guess I don't want to be like those guys on "Pawn Stars" that I'm always shouting at:
    "You've just been told by an independent expert that it's worth $8,000 so why accept $2,000. Find another way to pay your bills and take the time to put it in a proper auction"

If I've answered my own question; "put it on eBay and you'll find it's real value" then sorry for taking your time.

It's just that the 'rules' in the Condition, Condition, Condition thread have got to me too ;)
    Any information on the watch itself or the merits of the movement will be very gratefully received.

Ian

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

I have one of these and for a short while had 2 (returned one as dial had been varnished over including markers.) Mine has a very crispy unpolished case and the movement is bright and clean. The problem with these is the small size. This makes them undesirable to many. It was originally described as a boys watch. I might have better appeal for a woman now a days. $1500 seems hugely optimistic to me. I would think $4-500, if it was in very good shape. I would never trust it to a no reserve auction.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Was it Brisbane Vintage Watches that you went to?

4. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 12, 2013

Hi Ash,

Yes, it was suggested I pop into BVW to see what they'd offer. Think it was Ronny that had a look and took it upstairs to be opened.
    But it was the young lady who seemed to have the final say on whether they'd take it and at what price. (Can't for the life of me remember her name).

Are they on here? :whistling: Have I blown my chance? :( ;)

I might pop back and see if they're interested in a couple of others actually. I've often pressed my nose up to their window but the prices have made it seem a bit daunting to go inside. However, Ronny seemed very approachable yesterday.
    Did go upstairs once but their service quote was massive (and I had to pay for the quote :cautious: ).

I'm more confident in pricing for the rest of my collection and also appreciate that I could never sell for the prices they achieve.
    Very different worlds we seem to operate in, despite the same common interest.

Thanks for the information Steve. Your two were the only examples I could find online yesterday.
    I must say I was shocked at the $1,500 too. But the watchmaker seemed to think I could achieve that as a private sale and that BVW would price it way higher than that themselves.
    Despite their prices on the Omega chronographs being way out of my league I couldn't see any comparable Seamasters at much over $1,250 in their window, and they were all the larger size I think.

Still, thought I'd better check just in case I had stumbled upon something highly desirable.
    Thanks for the replies.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

The watchmakers aren't the best judge, they don't know market value as much as Ronny and the guys downstairs. The $350 is pretty standard, BVW do finish watches to a very high standard and back their work with a 1 year warranty, so a quality watch that needs correct and careful restoration locally is worth doing there.

Try to keep in mind that the cash buy price is one thing, but a better idea would be to arrange a credit deal with the guys downstairs, for example if they would normally offer $300 for a watch, they may offer a decent amount more than that in servicing credit towards one of your Speedmasters.

6. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 12, 2013

Thanks again Ash,

The service credit is certainly something to think about.
    I paid $800 last year for a service on the '69 861 which was done down in Sydney. Job was great but communication was a bit difficult (obviously half my fault).
    They wanted $1,000 as a starting price on my 321 and had differing ideas on retaining originality to me so I passed.
    [He wanted to cut out the lume from the chrono seconds hand as he believed the discolouration was corrosion - I thought it was character :)
    and he genuinely laughed at my request to put on a dot over 90 bezel that I'd sourced :cautious: ]

That $800 to $1,000 was suggested to me again yesterday in Brisbane (not upstairs at BVW, by the way).

To be honest I've been leaning towards using STS in the UK based mainly on their understanding of what we want and more importantly don't want.
    I still haven't spoken with them personally but think their prices may come in cheaper than local too.

The service prices on the OmegaWatches.com site automatically come up in Aussie dollars for me and are comparable to the above quotes but I'm sure the GBP price is much less based on looking at recent services on other peoples sales threads.
    Luckily I've still got family over near STS so should be able to get it billed in GBP (if I can't direct).

My 105.003 is still in the UK with my Sister as I'd really like to get STS to have a look at it first before she ships it down here.
    It's just a matter of being more disciplined and putting aside a proper 'servicing' fund rather than acquiring an ever increasing number of projects ::shy::.

Unfortunately, everything's been put on hold for a while as I've just lost my job, hence trying to find out the true value of the Seamaster above.
    Should've been job hunting today really, but it was way too hot. Preferred the chat here.

Cheers.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

If you're going to ship overseas I'd just contact N2FHL here, he's in the USA and does great work for reasonable money

8. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 12, 2013

Thanks mate. Will do.

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Because of its small size, the watch is not a popular vintage omega. I would make an exception here to not selling to dealers as you are unlikely to do better than the $400 offered. Servicing will not add significantly to the value of the watch and I would do it only if you plan to wear it or give it to a friend or family member who will.

10. agee Jan 12, 2013

IMO
    take the $400 offer unless you are emotionally attached to the watch