Forums Latest Members
  1. Elsinore Oct 10, 2013

Hello,

Just found this forum on the Internet and signed up. I'm interested in getting just an idea of what the valuation might be for an Omega watch that I own. I "think" I found the watch on the Omegawatches website upon doing a vintage watches search using the information inscribed inside the rear cover. I say "think" because the watch dial face looks different with the calendar window and the hour markers being different between my watch and the one I found at the following link: http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14813

At any rate, once again, I own the watch, and it has been in the family since 1952. I do not know when the watch was last serviced but it was no doubt prior to when it was passed along to me by another family member back around 1995 or so. When I received the watch I did not wear it and simply stored it away. It has a gold colored metallic type of band, which I took off as I didn't like the looks of it and it was not original to the watch, that I could tell. The watch seems to run fine with no problems and it is one of the bumper style of watches, I think it may be referred to as.

I've uploaded a few picture of the watch (minus the band), excluding a picture of the outside of the rear cover, as the outside cover contains a personal inscription,...nothing bizarre, just a personal inscription including name and such. Of course, I suspect the mere presence of the inscription will affect valuation, though I do not know to what extent. Any thoughts on the effect of an inscription on the valuation would be appreciated, too.

If anyone has any questions for additional information regarding the watch that might assist with the valuation, please ask.

Thanks for your help.

IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0972.JPG

2. Elsinore Oct 10, 2013

Sorry, I stated something wrong in my original post. The calendar window actually looks the same between my watch and the one I found on the Omegawatches website at the link I provided. I was thinking of other similar watches that I had seen elsewhere, such as on ebay, with the calendar window being shown differently compared to mine.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 10, 2013

The dial on yours looks completely correct to me. Some dials had a square window and some (like yours) a trapazoidal one. Crown looks fine, also. Since it is 14K gold and has "Unadjusted" on the rotor, I would guess that this is a US market model.

I'm not too good on market value for these, but low 4-figures (<$2k), sounds right to me.
    gatorcpa

4. Hijak Oct 10, 2013

This is a nice Seamaster calender reference 2627 in 14k gold with a 17 jewel 353 movement. These were made from ~ 1950 - 1952...the dial survived in such good shape probably because this watch does not have the luminous radium on the dial and hands. someone with more experience will come along and give you a valuation...

5. Hijak Oct 10, 2013

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 10, 2013

US models had crowns like that.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. ulackfocus Oct 10, 2013

The trapezoid date window means it was assembled in 1953 or later. The square date window came on the first models from 1952 into 1953. Your serial number dates the movement to 1951-ish, which jives because movements might not have been mated to their cases at the factory for up to 2 or 3 years. The crown is one of the acceptable types.

That's a nice watch and even better that it's an heirloom. As it is, it would sell for about $1000 because it's unserviced and in need of some TLC. Have a watchmaker who's sympathetic to vintage pieces take care of it, put it on a nice strap, and wear it.

Elsinore likes this.
  8. Hijak Oct 10, 2013

With the modern Omega logo?

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 10, 2013

There were many suppliers of crowns to Omega. Not all used the same logo. I wouldn't call it "modern" or "old".

Unless the coloration of the gold is different (which happens sometimes with newer rose gold crowns), I vote original.
    gatorcpa

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 10, 2013

Well, that S (Seamaster) says redialed

[​IMG]

11. ulackfocus Oct 10, 2013

Thanks for pointing that out - it's a service replacement dial. 100% sure of it.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 10, 2013

Looks like a Watchco Special:
    [​IMG]
    However, I thought there were some originals made like this as well.
    gatorcpa

13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 10, 2013

Really?

==========================

Here is another one, this one is an old and beat up dial

[​IMG]

looks correct but it's a redial

[​IMG]

14. ulackfocus Oct 10, 2013

No, that more rounded shape S didn't come into play until the late 50's at the earliest. The coat hanger S was gone by the end of 1963 (I think). The overlap, and this is an educated guess based on what I've seen and owned, was from some time in 1958 into early 1963.

15. Elsinore Oct 10, 2013

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I'm reading along as it goes. I'm learning as it comes and once again, I appreciate the great feedback, thus far.

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 10, 2013

If not for the T's, it would have fooled me...

[​IMG]
    That's mine with the same dial markers as above. I'd say the beat up one might be a newer service dial also. The S is a little different, though.
    gatorcpa

Hijak and Elsinore like this.
  17. ulackfocus Oct 10, 2013

We have debates over a lot of minutia. It's what we do, along with thread hijacking - sometimes multiple subject changes in one thread.

Anyway, those date-at-6 models, the 2627 and it's brother the 2757, had stopped production before the rounded S was introduced so your dial is surely a replacement of some kind. Still a very nice watch though. :thumbsup:

Elsinore likes this.
  18. Elsinore Oct 10, 2013

I think it's great, witnessing all the delving into all the details. I'm not a watch expert by any means, much less an Omega watch expert, but I always enjoy seeing others who are passionate about what they enjoy and know best. I have learned a good bit in this thread alone that I did not know before. I do appreciate all the feedback, very much.