Forums Latest Members
  1. Klhender Oct 23, 2017

Anyone ever hear of the German UTS watches? WOW - those are some nice looking divers and I understand they can go deep .. real deep. I'm interested in hearing anything anyone knows about these handmade blocks-of-steel.

Thanks Much!

2. Dogmann Oct 24, 2017

Hi Klhender,

When I first started getting back into watches I was on WUS (Don't judge it was the first site I found) and the first watch that grabbed my attention was the UTS something about the industrial design and the all built by one man and his vision just really spoke to me. At first I was really attracted to the 3000 Ghost as thought it was incredible if not suffering from severe over kill. But after many discussions with Herr Spinner in Germany I had him build for me a 1000m Mk2 with a Anthracite dial that is just a little different to most seen that was back in 2010. For the first couple of years it really was the only watch I wore and even when I purchased higher end pieces they all seemed to lose out to it. in fact I am now turning full circle and although I had thought I had found the one for me have just now decided its being sold so my VC Overseas in going and my UTS is back on my wrist and to be honest it still feels as good today as the day it arrived over 7 years ago. A lot of this has to do with my now very high levels of inactivity due to chronic back pain and so not getting out very much but honestly the UTS can be dressed up or down with strap changes and can do all you could ever ask of it, don't just get the biggest really think about what you really want and need first would be my only word of caution. My only other advice would be to get it both on the bracelet and the rubber strap for versatility as the bracelet was one of the first with the extensions built in and is a work of art and what is a post without some pictures so here they are.

[​IMG]UTS 1000m by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]UTS Bracelet clasp by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_20110511_084504 by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_20110511_084532 by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

Marc

3. Klhender Oct 24, 2017

Hi Marc,

WOW - I'm very impressed with your UTS and thank you for posting the pictures. I have to ask this question - this watch looks brand new (are you sure it's 7 years old?) Have you had any issues with it of any type - it looks both solid and dependable. I've read the numbers but does it wear large or huge. Is it bigger than a Omega Planet Ocean or Rolex Sea Deweller? What kind of maintenance does it require?

Ha ..ha ..ha .. I really need to do some research on this watch, it's a real beauty in my eyes and I'm really excited about it. Time for me to calm down and do my homework. Thanks for the great pictures!!

Klhender

4. Dogmann Oct 24, 2017

Hi Klhender,

I bought mine brand new but second hand they are even more of a bargain if you can find the one you want and sorry I made a mistake it was May 2011 it arrived so only 6 and bit years old but it hasn't been babied or refinished in fact not even serviced yet and still runs around +3-+5 seconds a day. The build and finish on these far exceeds their price point IMO as for size it does wear larger than a SeaDweller 16600 as is 42mm and quite thick but due to the shape of the lugs really sits well on the wrist, I suppose that may be dependent on your wrist shape but for most it seems to. I haven't owned a Planet Ocean but from what I remember of looking at some it is actually not as thick as the PO and slightly less wide but again as i said due to the case and lug shape sits better on the wrist IMO. Hope that helps and good luck on your hunt the only other thing I would say is that unlike a Rolex or Omega you are very unlikely to bump into someone else wearing one as Herr Spinner only produces 200 of each model so quite a limited edition really.

Marc

5. Klhender Oct 25, 2017

Marc,

I just bought a new Omega Seamaster 300m about two weeks ago and I love it, but I wanted a Planet Ocean and that was before I saw any UTS watches. I'm not really a "style" kind of guy, but, I think I like the clean lines and "style" of the UTS watches. The prices seems to be very modest for the products and I will look very hard at UTS for future purchase. I'm also have a much milder interest in the Grand Seiko Divers but make no mistake - UTS blew me away. It's the type of watch that I could see Spock to wearing. :)

Ken