Forums Latest Members
  1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 14, 2013

Sorry I know these topics crop up regularly- but - awaiting a package from the midwest and been receiving email updates of progress, all fine 'till this morning when I see it has processed through sort facility in Canada and then cleared customs in Canada.
    First off I thought ok it seems strange going via Canada but to see it clearing customs makes me think it is on its' way to a Canadian destination :(
    Should I be concerned ?

2. Dablitzer Aug 14, 2013

Get in touch with the sender ASAP. I had this and it will either be returning to sender or heading to another destination. Either way, it's safer to check!

3. ulackfocus Aug 14, 2013

It's taking the scenic route.

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 14, 2013

Scotland's not in Canada ?

Nova Scotia, here it comes!

5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 14, 2013

Mail sent to sender, now seven days from the midwest to Canada, obviously on holiday and taking the scenic route :(

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 14, 2013

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 14, 2013

Fingers crossed and as you say I have the wrong number, being a pessimist I imagine that someone else is wondering why has my watch just left Chicago or wherever?
    Hopefully going to hear back very soon.

8. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Aug 14, 2013

I have been waiting on two packages from a vendor in Hong Kong since 7/15. When I checked this morning they are sitting in the customs office in Jamaica, NY with delv. scheduled for 8/19. I am in GA. International shipping is so much fun.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 14, 2013

Yes, you should.

I believe that the UK and Canada use similar postal code systems based on letters and numbers, while the US system is numbers only. Maybe a postal clerk used an incorrect code that routed the package to Canada rather than Scotland.

Normally these things get straightened out on their own, but it would be adviseable to let the seller know.
    gatorcpa

10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 14, 2013

Waiting to hear back - interesting info regarding the postal codes - many thanks.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2013

I don't think it's probable for the postal code to be the issue here, as they are different formats, even though they both use letters and numbers...

UK uses 4 letters and 2 numbers, where we use 3 letters and 3 numbers, so a UK postal code is not valid here.

Cheers, Al

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 14, 2013

That's true, but you're assuming that USPS typed the correct code in the sorting machine.

They could have substituted a number for a letter.
    gatorcpa

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2013

Not really assuming anything....it would take much more than just typing a number for a letter, as the order is completely different:

Canada - LNL NLN

UK - LLN NLL

L - letter
    N - number

While it's possible that they somehow turned a UK postal code into a Canadian one, again it's not likely.

Al

14. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 15, 2013

Update - It is my package and yes it is in Canada :(
    Informed that until such time as Canada Post realise it should not be there and route it back USPS can do nothing.
    Once and hopefully it happens that USPS receive it back they will kindly send it on to me ::blowup::
    Have to admit never had a problem over international shipping before but boy now I sure appreciate what others have gone through.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 15, 2013

I know many people make a big deal over international shipping, but I ship and receive hundreds of packages (watches) per year internationally, and have never had an issue yet.

The only issue I've ever had was a money order sent to the US by registered mail that went missing. Just had another one issued and sent so not a big deal.

Hopefully Canada Post will get it sorted quickly for you, and hopefully the seller is doing his/her part to make that happen.

Cheers, Al

16. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 15, 2013

Thanks Al,
    Now tracking it with Canada Post ( delivery estimated in two days) and have mailed support, maybe they will take pity on a wee Scotsman and help me out.
    Have to say Canada Post web site was a dream compared with USPS.

:thumbsup:

17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 15, 2013

..... and there was me thinking the Watch Gods had re-routed it via Al so you didn't have the temptation to wind it before a service.

18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 15, 2013

Finding the whole episode a bit of a worry, this is a prized possession returning after four months in intensive care.
    Sure it will work out fine but the half empty glass creeps in now and then :(

19. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 15, 2013

Set Sandy on the postman when it finally turns up - it will make you feel better.

Alpha and Dablitzer like this.
  20. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 15, 2013

Another plaudit for Canada Post, an email reply - not automated - and a number to call. USPS a stony silence.