Forums Latest Members
  1. mozambique Nov 2, 2014

Well, my interest was piqued concerning the 145.012 that Matteo at 'the Master of Speed' had for sale on the forum.

Being a Brit from the UK living in Canada, I am not overly interested in the Vietnam war (although the Deer Hunter is my favourite movie of all time), but thought I would investigate further.

A few mouse clicks later I had found the former USMC pilot's email address (thank you LinkedIn!) and sent him an email. Over the weekend I have emailed Bill several times and learned that his parents gave him the watch as a graduation gift from University. The day he graduated he enrolled in flight school and upon graduation from this had the engraving 'Pilot USMC' added to the case back.

Bill flew F4 Phantoms in the Marine Composite Reconnaissance Squadron (VMCJ-2) out of North Carolina before transferring to VCMJ-1 based in Iwakuni in the Pacific. From there he logged 200+ hrs flying recce sorties over Vietnam (day and night) based out of Danang and from the carrier USS Midway. His squadron was among the first of the air group to return a year later in support of operation linebacker when the navy mined the harbor at Haiphong. The squadrons motto was 'alone, unarmed and unafraid' as the recce F4's had no armaments (holy Christ!). However, the lack of arms meant that they were lighter than the fighter version and courtesy of the twin engines and afterburners could literally point vertical and power away from any marauding NV Migs if required.

Bill tells me that he wore his speedy during every one of his flights as a USMC pilot and kindly sent me the photo below. He owned the watch for 40 odd years before selling it (with no regrets). All in all a very interesting man (he is now CEO of his own management consulting company) and watch.

.............now I have to tell the wife that I have embezzled the kids education fund to purchase my latest acquisition :)

photo 1.JPG

blackwatch, pitpro, TNTwatch and 15 others like this.
  2. Mothra Nov 3, 2014

The kids might not go to university, but they will have had a harrowing life lesson on addictions.... I don't think it helps, but there's not one of us who wouldn't do the same....

3. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Nov 3, 2014

Great work Mozambique!
    Just saw that Sales Thread this morning and must say I'd have been interested myself. Even better that you've been able to make personal contact and get the history and photo.

Watched a documentary yesterday about an F4 Phantom squadron in Vietnam. They were bomber support so a slightly different set up but the casualty rate at certain stages was terrible.

Well done on a great watch.

blackwatch likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 3, 2014

Great catch, and it is doubled in interest by the fact you have the owners story.

He was one of the lucky pilots to fly (in my opinion) one of the finest US built fighter/bomber/recon/ELINT/everything else aircraft of the 20th century.

The cockpits on the the F4 must have been big, they need to be to accommodate the cojones of the guys the crewed them

Check this to see how tough the bird and her crew were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardo's_Push

blackwatch likes this.
  5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 3, 2014

Well done on sussing out the history of the watch - no doubt will make it even more special to you. :)

6. The Master of Speed Nov 4, 2014

::love::

7. bill5959 Nov 4, 2014

I'm glad this thread is out of sales, so I can comment. First, thanks to all the Vets. Second, what an amazing story. So many watches were used in the 'Nam era it is just amazing to learn the stories associated with the watches. Regards, Bill

ron n likes this.
  8. mozambique Nov 4, 2014

Yes, I must have exchanged a dozen emails with the original owner and he has a long-term offer of free beer and food if/when he next comes to Canada. Screw the watch, it has been as much fun learning from him what flying an F4 in combat was like (okay, I take back the 'screw the watch' comment).

9. davidswiss Nov 5, 2014

Good move. Can only admire you're bravery in the face of the inevitable familial backlash.

oddboy likes this.
  10. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Nov 5, 2014

I bet he was happy that his watch ended up in the hands of someone who appreciates and will care for it.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 5, 2014

I actually emailed him when it was on eBay back in July but didn't hear back so wasn't sure it was the guy, fascinating history behind it.