Forums Latest Members
  1. diggin5 Aug 19, 2014

In the past month I have done some extensive research on the iconic Omega Speedmaster, as I am looking to purchase one as a wedding present for myself. I'm looking for any of the models as close to the original Apollo mission watch as possible (the basics: full size 42mm, manual wind, no date, no moonphase etc.). I'm trying to get one with a budget of about $2,400.

I have educated myself on how to spot fakes and different versions, and have seen a few good used candidates on eBay. My first question is, besides eBay and the classifieds section on Omega forums, what is a good source for decent used Speedmasters in my price range? I am close to New York City, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Washington DC, and will travel to go to a good brick and mortar store as well.

Also, of those I have seen on eBay the best prices are ones shipping from Japan, which gets me to my second question; how do you deal with shipping and customs into the US for these items which are well over $2,000?

Thank you all in advance.

-Diggin5

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 19, 2014

1. Stay away from private courier services (FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.). They all charge extra for customs brokerage and also mark up the actual fees. Also, they generally will not insure watches over a certain amount, usually around $500.

2. Use Express Mail Service if the seller will go for it. This goes through the Post Office in Japan, and will become USPS when it lands here. While there is no guarantee, my experience is that customs duty is rarely charged by USPS. Fully traceable, but I'm not sure if EMS will insure watches for the amount you require.

3. Registered Mail is an option. I think it would be insurable at the level you need, but since the item must be signed for at every change of hands, it is very slow. Probably will take at least two weeks vs. a few days for EMS.

My theory is that the least amount of time in the postal system, the less the chance that something will happen.
    gatorcpa

3. initialjh Aug 19, 2014

Agree with gatorcpa .

Recently shipped a watch via postal system EMS to US of A. Insured for full amount (AUD$3500) and took 3 working days between Sydney and east coast USA. No issues with customs, and the buyer tells me no duty yet received....

Anyway, we shall see if anything comes out of it. so far, so good.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 19, 2014

I have received several watches from Japan in the manner that Gator advises. Quick, reliable and never charged a nickle of customs fees.

Also received $5000. piece sent from Japan via DHL, not charged anything in that case either.

initialjh likes this.
  5. diggin5 Aug 19, 2014

Thank you everyone. Very good advice and I will try EMS. I certainly don't want to shy away from a deal just because it's half way across the world.

In any case, I don't mind paying duties. I just don't want to pay excessive private fees if they are completely avoidable by just a choice of carrier.

To my first question: any other good sources (or folks with a decent used basic Speedmaster for sale)?

-Diggin5

6. diggin5 Aug 21, 2014

Thank you all for your help. I wound up finding one on eBay that is within the US, but I will know for the future to use those carriers for international shipping.

In the meantime, this is the one I grabbed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390911067038?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It was a bit of a gamble because it doesn't have any photos of the movement, and it looks like the original case back is missing. Also, I'm not holding my breath on it being from 1969, but we'll see when it gets here. I was looking for any 861 variant so I'll be happy with anything at this price, '69 would be a bonus, but nothing to cry about if it doesn't turn out to be true. More photos to come once it arrives.

-Max

7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 21, 2014

I can see no reason to say it can't be a 69, so you may be lucky. that could be the original caseback thats been way over-polished, just as the case has been. one other point, the seller stated a DON bezel. you will be disappointed if you are expecting that.
    Edit. just took a closer look at the pic of the bezel. the seller is either an idiot or a comedian.

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 21, 2014

Its not mad money for what you will get, assuming a good running Omega 861.

The ONLY TIME I bought a speedmaster without opening the back it had a lemania movement. Luckily I got my money back, at a watch show.

9. Tritium Aug 21, 2014

Certainly there´s a white dot over the 90 :p

Dablitzer likes this.
  10. diggin5 Aug 21, 2014

Dennis, Spacefruit,

I noticed the 90 dot in the photos from the start, so I wasn't expecting it. Technically I could call him out on the description being wrong, but we'll see how everything works out. I have a 20 day inspection and return period, so I'll make sure to look at it right away and make an assessment. I'm crossing my fingers on this one, but for the price I think I did pretty well if it's a real Omega 861.

You might be right about the case back just being polished, I know the early ones were lightly engraved. I will probably spend the extra $150 to replace it with either a NOS original, or the later "moon" text one to wear with the watch, keeping the original case it came with as well. I plan to wear this watch daily so I don't need it to be pristine.

A question on the dial: when did they switch from the more pronounced sub dials? Is this the correct dial for the watch if it's indeed 1969?

Thanks,

-Max

11. Dablitzer Aug 21, 2014

As opposed to a black one? ;)

Tritium likes this.
  12. Tritium Aug 21, 2014

You can also replace the caseback with a custom sapphire one, they look beautiful http://www.ebay.es/itm/GLASBODEN-FU..._Wohnen_Uhrenteile&hash=item3f3b9cfc91&_uhb=1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Dablitzer likes this.
  13. Tritium Aug 21, 2014

:D

14. diggin5 Aug 21, 2014

Ha!

The sapphire may be an option as well, thank you for the auction link.

Does anyone have a source for links for this kind of bracelet (I don't know all the Omega watch band numbers yet)? It looks like it might need to be extended, as I usually wear a longer watch band.

Thanks,

-Max

15. Tritium Aug 21, 2014

Try here:
    http://www.ofrei.com/page1277.html

16. diggin5 Aug 21, 2014

Tritium,

Thanks for the link, these look like great prices compared to the Bay. Are they OEM parts, or other manufacture?

-Max

17. Tritium Aug 21, 2014

They are all omega original parts.
    You will need the bracelet reference (maybe 1171?) to look for the correct links.

18. diggin5 Aug 25, 2014

The watch came. Serial number is 31,617,681. Also I need more links for the bracelet, since it does not fit as suspected. Having looked at 1171 bands this clasp doesn't look correct to that model, but I really don't know enough to make that call. Can anyone identify the bracelet and clasp?

Apologies, the photos are not the best due to my phone:

IMG_20140825_151320_917.jpg IMG_20140825_151343_068.jpg IMG_20140825_150851_793.jpg IMG_20140825_151024_499.jpg IMG_20140825_151037_965.jpg IMG_20140825_151419_130.jpg

Thank you all for your help,

-Max

IMG_20140825_151406_111.jpg
  19. diggin5 Aug 25, 2014

CORRECTION: serial number is 31 million, not 51 million. The photo was blurry so I went back in and looked at it with a loupe, definitely a 3 not a 5. 31,617,687 looks like it would indeed be 1969-1972 depending on whose chart you go by. In any case I'm pretty pleased it was made during the years of the Apollo program.

-Max

20. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 25, 2014

what does the inside of your caseback say? I shall have an original 1969 used caseback somewhere, if you need one to buy...... kind regards. achim