Forums Latest Members
  1. Rowdy Jun 26, 2019

Browsing eBay I found a couple Master Co-Axials for under $3700 from a seller in Japan. Being that these are over 6k retail, I am tempted to pull the trigger on one. Does anyone have on the forum have one and wear it daily?

Slowpoker likes this.
  2. dinexus Jun 26, 2019

...so are you gonna make us guess which Master Co-Ax watch, or what?

89-0, Bimmerman77, Fusion and 2 others like this.
  3. Rowdy Jun 26, 2019

4. Rowdy Jun 26, 2019

5. Fusion Jun 26, 2019

What I always do is check www.watchrecon.com. It browses all the private sales listings across the forums (including "forum sellers").
    For really popular models they give an average price +/- some variation. I do not see that function currently working, but for your purposes it can be useful for scoping out the market and seeing what asking prices are. As for actual sale prices, eBay is good if you filter in only completed/sold listings.

Good luck with your hunt and of course continue to do your research like it seems you are doing!

connieseamaster, jsducote and Rowdy like this.
  6. Gruesome Jun 27, 2019

50-60% of original MSRP for a used coaxial from Japan with no signs of wear sounds about right. The co-axial Speedmasters (predating the Master coaxials) were going for around that when I bought mine ($4-5k, new $8.5k).

I experienced a two month customs delay, so that might be something to research and take into account.

Rowdy likes this.
  7. nmttd2 Jun 27, 2019

I have this watch in the two tone. I've had it for 4 year now and is a great watch!

Rowdy likes this.
  8. flw history nerd Jun 27, 2019

This is the same model I own - it's on my wrist as I write this. It's a super sharp looking piece, and I wear it quite often. It's also versatile - you can dress it up or down depending on the occasion.

The only issue I've had with mine is that it tends to run fast, on the order of about +10 to +12 seconds per day. The one the OP referred to on eBay is listed as running about the same. Overall, it looks like a good price to me - certainly less than I paid for mine. (And I still think I got a good deal.)

Rowdy likes this.
  9. Rowdy Jun 27, 2019

[QUOTE="flw, post: 126881 The only issue I've had with mine is that it tends to run fast, on the order of about +10 to +12 seconds per day. The one the OP referred to on eBay is listed as running about the same. Overall, it looks like a good price to me - certainly less than I paid for mine. (And I still think I got a good deal.)[/QUOTE]

I’m guessing it’s not as easy to regulate time as my 2254 with the 1120 movement? The 1120 has a tiny regulator screw that allows adjustments.

10. flw history nerd Jun 27, 2019

I’m guessing it’s not as easy to regulate time as my 2254 with the 1120 movement? The 1120 has a tiny regulator screw that allows adjustments.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure. It's a more complex movement, and not just because of the co-axial escapement. But I haven't looked into getting it calibrated, since In all other respects it runs fine. However, when it's time for the first service overhaul, I plan to mention it.

11. Gruesome Jun 28, 2019

I missed the running fast issue. I'd check whether the watch is still under warranty, and get it serviced under warranty if it is outside of master coaxial specs.

From what I've heard, EMS shipping would be preferable in order to avoid potential import duty issues. But supposedly metal items can't be shipped EMS to the US?

12. tzachi Jun 28, 2019

Few of my friends wear this model daily, no issues

13. Rowdy Jul 1, 2019

Would it be a sin to take some scotch-brite to the polished center links? PCL’s on the bracelet is really my only gripe about the watch. I prefer the brushed look over polished.

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 1, 2019

No it’s not a DIY regulation job. These use a free sprung balance with tiny adjustable weights which need to be altered in pairs to avoid balance issues.

It sounds like you are trying to get into the SM300 on the cheap by looking at watches with issues. I don’t think this is necessarily a good idea. One of these running so far out of spec is likely way overdue a service. These aren’t the kind of piece that can be serviced by a mall battery change outfit. These need professional intervention from an authorised repairer trained on the peculiarities of the Omega Co-ax system. Anyone less just wont do it right as the lubrication requirements are very precise and not at all like lever escapement watches (such as the 2254). There is also the problem of parts availability, outside the authorised network there is none. Think $500-600 minimum to get it done right. Do the eBay ones still sound cheap?

Edited Jul 1, 2019
    Rowdy, Lonestar and connieseamaster like this.
  15. flw history nerd Jul 1, 2019

Rowdy likes this.
  16. Rowdy Jul 3, 2019

Thanks for the info. I thought it would be more involved to regulate it. I'm not exactly looking for watches with issues and fully understand it takes someone qualified to make any repairs to these pieces. If I could get one at the right price, it wouldn't bother me to spend the money to get it serviced. The eBay ones still sound reasonable since I would still be a couple grand under retail even with the cost of a service. Thanks again for your comments.

17. Rowdy Jul 3, 2019

flw likes this.
  18. T3F Jul 10, 2019

Pull the trigger, no clue why these are priced so low. I have about 25 watches now, the vast majority of which are more expensive than this, and the SM300 is still one of my favorite watches. I honestly prefer it to my Submariners without even taking price into consideration -- it's more interesting, the movement is better (and visible), it's more comfortable, and I just like the overall look better. IMO, this has to be the most underrated watch on sale right now.

verbow and flw like this.
  19. Slowpoker Jul 10, 2019

The 300 can often be found below £3000, I bought my 300 for £2450 with all boxes and papers and have just snagged a titanium edition with both strap/clasp and bracelet for £2900. 4 years warranty left too and In mint condition minus the bracelet.

Honestly no idea why they go so low. Is it due to less demand?

20. Bernardino Jul 10, 2019

The titanium edition is my favourite, where did you find this?