Forums Latest Members

US Navy Waltham quartz chronometer Cir, 1991

1. river rat Dec 12, 2021

Just won this on eBay was not really on the search for one but seen this at a price that I could not refuse. This is still in the NSN stock numbers for ordering but think Marathon has the contract now. From what I found online Timex and Waltham and Marathon submitted for a contact to make them think only Waltham and Marathon did never seen a Timex one yet. Waltham still in business but only making aircraft clocks that surprised me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still in stock system
    National Stock Number NSN 6645-01-067-0780, 6645010670780 (iso-group.com)
    Little info on Waltham
    Home (walthamclocks.com)
    During the 1970's they stopped putting US Navy on the dial of clocks issued to the Navy with only US Government on the dial. Here a Chealsea from the 1970's same dial set up. I can imagine this being in a chart room and the quartermaster figuring the ships location in the 1990's before GPS took over where precision timepieces were not required anymore.
    [​IMG]

Edited Dec 12, 2021
  2. river rat Dec 12, 2021

An early Waltham chronometer from WW1 issued to the US Navy a long line of making military timepieces for navigation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. RI Omega Fan Dec 12, 2021

Not quite as cool as those posted above, but here’s my Chelsea “Engine Room” clock. It was given to me by a good buddy of mine who stole it off a US Navy ship when he was in the Merchant Marines.
    image.jpg
    Your taxes at work…

4. river rat Dec 12, 2021

The military know how to waist our taxes like your free clock. Like the Navy built a new building at hunters point shipyard for sima to take care of the battle ships when President Regan brought them out of mouth balls had a tour of it brand new Machenry still in the crates for doing maintenance on one of the battle ships that was supposed to come. The Navy got into a beef with San Fransico, and it went to the state of Washington. That new Building was never used. There good for building never used and I bet Washington had to dredge it so the battleship could get into port, and they would not of had to at Hunters point so more waisted money. In 2001 when I did some work with special warfare unit 4 at Rosevelt Roads naval base, they were building a brand building for them. The base closed a year later WTF if they knew the base was closing cancel the building so the tax money can be used elsewhere.

5. river rat Dec 17, 2021

Well, received it today. Happy with the buy about the best price on something military timepiece related in a very long time. Next to the Hamilton model 21 chronometer that it took over for maybe one of the last chronometers for the US Navy before GPS took over. Depending on GPS without teaching the old fashion ways with chronometer and sextant and the stars a mistake if I was the Russians or Chinese takeout our GPS satellites you take out our navigation and any weapons that use GPS.
    [​IMG]

6. Ron_W Dec 18, 2021

Great clock, congrats !

7. river rat Sep 16, 2023

Old thread but some info I found on this.
    [​IMG]

Waltesefalcon likes this.