Forums Latest Members
  1. Horologist Oct 5, 2017

Greetings to ALL

I have been foraging every source available for some information regarding to the U.S cased vintage Omega of bumper wind era -in particular with the caliber 354.

I am aware that during this period, bare movements were imported from Switzerland and cased in the U.S by some of the local watch case making companies to avoid import duties .Beautiful products indeed!!! As a result, I have noticed that these final products also had model numbers different from those catalogued in Switzerland.

My question to those who are more familiar with the U.S market is if such model numbers were identified with the type of metal or finish used.

For example, I had a L &K 14k gold Seamaster cal 354, referenced as G6546, which I was replacing a crystal and was informed at the watch supply house that it was only ever issued in 14k solid gold. Recently, I also came across an identical looking model referenced G6250 (also cased by L&K ) with same movement but had inscription 14k gold filled. Would this model number identify this as only ever issued in 14k gold filled? I know that when ordering parts, they are both referenced differently but the case parts such as gaskets and crystals may be the same.

As for precious metals control, Switzerland had their Assay office for hallmarking where an independent authority verified that the case was either solid gold or not. I noticed that U.S solid gold models did not have hall marks stamped by an independent authority???? , How was this done in the U.S to prevent a gold filled model being accidently stamped as a solid gold model? I have searched much of the internet and have not found any information on this. Any leads or clues would be highly appreciated!! Many thanks!!!!

mikechi22 likes this.
  2. Vitezi Oct 6, 2017

The US Code of Federal Regulations in effect at the time specified that the type of metal or finish had to be marked on the watch case. The so-called "Watch Guides" provided instruction on how the cases should be marked.
    upload_2017-10-6_7-31-31.png

As you note, your movement was made by Omega in Switzerland but the case was made in the US by Lutringer & Kammerer, Inc. (L&K), New York. I have never seen a guide to L&K case numbers although it might be possible to assemble a rough list by reviewing old parts catalogs of cases, gaskets and related items.

3. Horologist Oct 6, 2017

thanks for that attachment. Very interesting!!! The problem with that system is that it was left entirely upon the reliablity of the manufacturer to do their job without any margin of error, without big brother watching, especially to avoid the possiblity of a 14k gold filled case being accidently market as 14 k solid gold, either intentionally or unintentionally by an employee as human error always plays a factor. I don't know what precautions were taken but can boggle the mind. The advantage of the European system is that there is an independent authority that would analyse the final product and stamp the hallmark beyond reaonsonable doubt.

I may have combined two questions in the same one. I noticed that some of these L&K Omega cases all seem to follow some pattern in their model reference numbers.

As I had mentioned, the Omega G6546 Seamaster seems to be the reference to the model that is 14k solid gold. When I ordered the crystal for it, the spare parts department in Australia, seemed to be puzzled which was then palmed off to someone else who had immediately called it the "American Omega". He gave me the part number and said that it was only catalogued as a 14k gold model. As the model appeared to be very much like the Swiss Made 2257, I asked if they had the same crystal part number. He said "NO" "Omega America is really a different franchise when it comes to case parts

With the Omega G6250 Seamaster, it appears to be identical in every way case wise, BUT I have really only ever seen it as a 14k gold filled case. Unless someone has seen a solid 14k case, then my theory is wrong!!!

It would not be hard to compile some data base for case parts versus model numbers especially for the U.S models, but only a dealer that has a lot of turnover with reselling them when getting them ready for sale would be able to feasibly construct one.
    Nevertheless, those beefy lugged Omega Seamasters with the bumperwinds will always be evergreens to me

Bcg3255 likes this.