Forums Latest Members

US Ebay Sales Not Shipping To Europe

1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 20, 2013

If he would ship to the UK it would fit my wrist fine - I have asked but no reply as yet :(

What is wrong with the UK ? I appreciate the economy is not great but are we such a risk :D

Habitant and ja_rushton like this.
  2. Habitant Jul 25, 2013

What is it with some US sellers and their reluctance to ship to anywhere other than continental USA? It's extremely frustrating. My experience of USPS and FedEx is pretty good coming from the US>UK. In fact the only watch I've had go missing was by DHL and Germany>UK.

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 25, 2013

Various opinions over the years as to why, most common one I was given was that the seller lives a long way from the po and as a result only visits maybe once a week - result a long delivery time ?
    No knowledge of internal mail in the US but given the size of the country I would have thought it may not be much quicker to send from one end to the other as opposed to overseas.

Nothing to do with the price of fish but I would grab yourself an avatar pdq, better you choose as the mods :)

4. Dablitzer Jul 25, 2013

I know what you're saying... I think it works both ways. The main problem is people purchasing and calling the sellers bluff that they did not receive the item. Something about "once it's crossed over the pond"....Its harder to track. With anything off eBay there will be risk involved, it comes with the territory...

5. Habitant Jul 26, 2013

Done!

6. Habitant Jul 26, 2013

Not trying to shift the topic from dials, but to add to your comment on US>UK shipping: if it's tracked and insured (and why wouldn't it be for most on this forum?) then it's all the same risk US>US or US>UK.

So... Under such circumstances, I get stuff shipped to one of my watchmakers, a guy in the US, who is happy to service and ship out to me. I still end up paying the VAT and so on, but I also get to avoid the newest eBay hustle, which is the 'all in' customs charges, which are higher than any actual charges the UK HMRC charge (usually around +20%). Life is expensive enough without adding extra profit to Pitney Bowes (the folks who run the programme for eBay). Plus UK (etc) buyers beware: paying this 'all in' charge will not necessarily exempt you from customs charges! Have a look at eBay community on this, plenty of folks have had to pay twice as HMRC did not or would not recognise that charges had been paid - you have no right of appeal, either. Sweet.

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 26, 2013

Thanks for the warning on that :thumbsup:

8. Dablitzer Jul 26, 2013

I never knew that.... I hate the idea of a double whammy.... Not cool.

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 26, 2013

Should be looking for a large piece of wood as I type this - I have fortunately only ever been hit for charges when the item has shipped FedEx, just received an invoice this morning for a parcel received a couple of weeks ago :(
    Awaiting four packages and hoping FedEx are not involved.

10. pascs Jul 26, 2013

I get my US and UK stuff shipped to an Aramex shipping address in either the US or UK and then its forwarded over to me.............and no import tax either :thumbsup:

Dablitzer likes this.
  11. Dablitzer Jul 26, 2013

It's so variable, I have had no problem with FedEx, less than 10% customs, whereas with usps I have had larger sometimes 20% added customs..and it sits much longer with them in clearance.. FedEx usually arrives within 3 days Using express...

12. Dablitzer Jul 26, 2013

Explain....how do you avoid customs? :thumbsdown:

13. pascs Jul 26, 2013

I live in the Middle East at the moment (so not shipping to Europe) and when using the Aramex service I dont pay customs duty. For FedEx its 5% customs duty for items over $1,000

I should have an 'Omega Speedmaster, A Time Capsule' book arriving tomorrow from the US :cool:

14. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Jul 26, 2013

I personally have no issue shipping anything overseas to anywhere or anyone as long as I can put protections in place that cover the buyer and me.

My boss however refuses to do so because of two sales, one to the UAE and one to J'Berg, SA. Both buyers had issues with perfect, unworn, still in the plastic, with all boxes and papers high dollar watches. He swore it off 2 years ago and will not under any conditions change his mind.

I am sure we have cost ourselves a lot of money due to this.

Alpha likes this.
  15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 26, 2013

I reckon it comes down to the law of averages, hooks and crooks on your doorstep so why lose a sale due to some distant location?
    Tbh i'll deal with the devil if he has cash to spend :D ( well almost )

16. pascs Jul 26, 2013

I can understand that, for similar reasons I wont buy from Mexico again ;)

17. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 26, 2013

Well that's cheered me up, one of my daughters has bought me a birthday pressie fro Mexico !

18. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Jul 26, 2013

Burn me once, shame on you; burn me twice, shame on me.

19. ulackfocus Jul 26, 2013

Burn me three times, I'm pulling the sweater over your head and pummeling you.

Well, that's how the saying goes in Joizey.

20. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Jul 26, 2013

You have to watch out in Joizey for those bent nose, cauliflowered ear guys!