Forums Latest Members

Urgent Help on Zenith Prime 420

1. cj_swamy Jun 8, 2014

Hi, have found a good condition white dial Zenith Prime 420 chrono in Hong Kong (few scratches on crystal and case back but otherwise fine). Dial pics i found online check out. Needed help with a few features which I am not sure are standard:
    1) comes with a period buckle with the zenith logo - the square one. But i am not sure if a buckle or a deployant clasp was standard issue.
    2) seller said it was 1980 but I don't believe it can be older than 1995.
    3) the main point: date and time setting feature are different from what I have seen on other watches. Short pull on crown enables time setting (not date setting which I have usually seen). Hands move clockwise when crown is wound anti clockwise (again I have seen the other way around). Long pull on the crown I.e. second position is for date setting which was clockwise. This somehow seemed counter intuitive. The play on the crown (how easily the crown came out) seemed a bit too high but maybe can be expected of an old watch.

I have never bought a zenith before - am a new convert to older Zenith's. Am a fan of the 420. Can somebody please tell me if what I described is natural for the 420 or is there something wrong? Also any indications of what would be a reasonable price would great.

Cj

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 8, 2014

The 420 movement in the Prime is an El Primero based movement without the automatic winding, so the date and time setting should be exactly as you describe. This movement was made from 1993 until 2002.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the value as I have never looked into them.