Forums Latest Members

Upgrade SMP electric blue to SMPc black?

1. Shem Aug 15, 2014

I have an electric blue SMP 2055.80 (pictured), and I'm trying to decide whether I'd like to keep it or upgrade to the SMPc in black (at nearly twice the price, effectively). What do you guys think? Help me decide! I respect the fine taste on this forum. :)

IMG_0975.jpg

2. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 15, 2014

Keep the blue, then add the black. ::money::

3. Shem Aug 15, 2014

Haha, I forgot to add that having both is not an option. :p

4. Superdoc Aug 15, 2014

Whoa - this is no kind of upgrade.. they are far too different... Don't do it...

An upgrade would be the black SMP to the black SMPc...

the electric blue and the Black SMPc have nothing in common....the new black watch will do nothing for you if you start to miss the electric blue....Which you most assuredly will....

5. Noisy Nova Aug 16, 2014

There's only one Electric Blue.
    Everybody makes a black dive watch.

6. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2014

Rob... That's your third EB... What's that tell you!? Plus you love of blue dials will need fulfilling again.

7. Shem Aug 17, 2014

So I have an SMPc on the way, going to compare in real life and see which sticks (if either). No substitute for a week of wrist time! I do love unique blue dials, though the electric blue is a bit more "last generation" than I typically prefer with my preference for more modern Omegas.

You're right, though, it's my third electric blue...I think the fact that I can't find a BNIB or LNIB example is why I don't keep them...I like to put the first scratches on, lol.

8. LeDave Aug 17, 2014

Congrats, hope you end up liking and keeping it. The SMPc, black non-wave face is the very first brand timepiece I bought, took a huge chunk out of my wallet. (The C stands for Co-axial right?). I've always bought cheap automatic Seiko or some cheesy Invicta knockoff styles. Until I bought this first Omega, I would never go back to buying cheapo watches again, even if I can't afford another expensive piece. I'm also like you, modern styles only catch my eyes. Also you said it's "on the way", do you mean that you bought it online to be shipped so you can compare it? I would definitely just go to a dealer and look at it, it'll save time waiting for it, and shipping it back if you don't like it.

9. Shem Aug 17, 2014

C stands for Ceramic (bezel), though coaxial also applies! Yes, it's on the way being shipped preowned. I have tried it on many times at my local Boutique, but I need more than a few minutes to tell whether I like it more or less than my electric blue. I don't think I've ever tried them on back to back since the electric blue is discontinued.

10. msp1518 Aug 18, 2014

I wouldn't trade that in for the world. It's just too stunning.

11. ctime3 Aug 18, 2014

I agree with SuperDoc. I love blue black is everywhere. Of course I have two blacks but that blue is unique I would keep it. Look at the blue liquid metal PO. It just screams awesome I think compared to the black. This resonates the same with the SMP. Keep it.

12. Spy You know my name. Aug 24, 2014

Get the SMPc.

13. Shem Aug 25, 2014

Thanks for the input guys. Well, I compared the electric blue to the SMPc and I do like the SMPc better, I think. Still, I agree that they are very different watches, and to call it an "upgrade" isn't exactly fair (though the SMPc certainly feels higher-end and has a much better clasp and finishing). So I think I'll treat the SMPc and electric blue as separate watches and not think of them in terms of upgrading one to the other...I'll keep the SMPc on my wishlist for now (I have higher priority grails!) and independently consider whether to sell my electric blue.

14. Diverdown Aug 25, 2014

Get the SMPc......... in blue :cool: