Forums Latest Members

Updated Speedmaster Professional Non-LE

1. GoBlueJedi May 17, 2019

So I'm basically at the point where I'm ready to pull the trigger on the standard Speedmaster Professional. If somehow there is an announcement between here and there about an update, great. I can reevaluate at that point. If not, I'm just going to charge ahead and not look back. I honestly gave Omega every opportunity to take more of my money. I'm beyond excited for my watch, and if nothing else, I'll take that extra money and put it toward a dive watch.

artek likes this.
  2. jacobw2460 May 17, 2019

I did this today - wasn’t interested in the 50th anniversary, not interested in waiting for a 3861 Speedy Pro like I said above (the co-axial wasn’t even invented until 1976, four years after the end of Apollo, so... no thanks), and given the price of the 50th anniversary, the 321 that I was waiting for is likely going to be out of my budget for a very, very long time. I bought a standard Speedmaster Professional on Chrono24 a few hours ago, and I’m beyond excited to finally have one of my grail watches. I’m saving a TON of money compared to both a retail Speedy and this 50th anniversary. I’m glad I waited though, because if the 50th anniversary was a steel Speedmaster Professional with a 321 and was roughly the same cost as what was announced today, I’d be kicking myself if I bought one earlier.

Kostaroska and artek like this.
  3. artek May 17, 2019

Congratulations on your purchase. I couldn’t agree with you more and was also contemplating getting a standard speedy. If you don’t mind me asking did you buy new or preowned?

4. GoBlueJedi May 17, 2019

Congrats!!!! Hope you enjoy it for a long, long time! Personally, I wasn't every really interested in the 321. Or maybe (or more likely) I just assumed it would be perpetually out of reach and never got invested in it. The Speedmaster is also my grail watch. I could maybe see myself doing something a little more expensive at some point down the road (eg, 50th birthday, 25th anniversary), but I know it'll never hold quite the same place in my heart.

Enjoyh that watch, and hopefully, I'll be close behind you!

5. jacobw2460 May 18, 2019

Thank you! I bought mine new with boxes / papers and the five-year Omega warranty from one of the forum’s recommended sellers, but the watch was still about 25% off MSRP compared to an AD (no sales tax helps). Thankfully Speedmasters, while an amazing watch, are mass-produced to the point where it probably isn’t worth paying retail for them, unless you want a LE.

6. jacobw2460 May 18, 2019

Thank you - I know I will! I’m just a stupid kid who’s about to go off to law school that has a fascination with mechanical watches. I was the weird kid who, at age 5, asked for an analog watch for my birthday haha. After working for a few years postgrad / taking care of more important things like savings and retirement, I wanted something to mark this transition in my life. I’ve had a trusty mechanical Hamilton Khaki for the past six years, which my dad bought me when I left for college. My dad knows nothing about watches, but because I went to Hamilton College, he thought the gift was pretty tongue-in-cheek; for someone who doesn’t know anything about watches, he picked perfectly to mark my college years.

I’m pulling for you to get your Speedmaster ASAP, because from how you’ve written about it, it’s clear how passionate you are about it and that it’s not just a show-off piece for you. Those are the best type of collectors in my opinion. If the 321 ever comes out in a regular steel Speedy case, I know I’ll have to get that at some point in my life, since I’m a huge NASA fan and love that connection to the Apollo program. But if it never comes, I’ll be forever content with the one I’m getting. All the best to you!

7. GoBlueJedi Aug 13, 2019

I'm just bumping this thread since I've seen some recent rumors that the 3861 calibre (or maybe some other Master Coaxial) version of the standard Speedmaster Professional might be making its debut in 2020. Has anyone heard any solid info on this, or is it mostly just wishful thinking at this point? Thoughts on whether Omega would seek to keep the NASA flight qualification?

I know it's a long way off, but it's never too early to start obsessing.

8. Evitzee Aug 13, 2019

No one knows nuthin'. Anyone who says differently is BS'ing.

Edited Aug 13, 2019
    Kostaroska likes this.
  9. stuart70 Aug 14, 2019

On another thread, it was said that Omega would carry out the same tests as NASA for flight qualification. Omega would then submit the results to NASA. NASA would rubber stamp, then Omega would carry on using the ‘flight qualified’. For me the 3861 is too far removed from the ‘original’ moonwatch either 321 or 861/1861. It will become just a marketing exercise.
    As as far as I know the 321 went to the moon. The 861 went around the moon and was used by the Russian Cosmonauts. The current NASA astronauts use the X-33.

rominvicta likes this.