Forums Latest Members

Updated Speedmaster Professional Non-LE

1. BenjaminT May 17, 2019

The SL model is like your preferred cars previous year model. Plenty around can only be sold by the price, because everyone will prefer the updated model if they can afford. Tritium Speedmasters from 80s and 90s have already young timer status .... and the even older ones are extensively covered in this forum ;)

2. Matty1 May 17, 2019

Not everyone will enjoy an updated model. But let’s see

3. c2500 May 17, 2019

METAS.

Caliber561 and pianomankd like this.
  4. Riviera Paradise May 17, 2019

I think it is pretty likely that they will release a new standard production Speedmaster with the 3861, during 2020. They could probably use the Tokyo Olympics to do a few sport timing themed Speedy LE's as well.

As I already own 1861 Speedy LEs, IF the "new" 3861 Speedy Pro was done tastefully, I might consider it as an option for 2020. A domed "pseudo hestalite" sapphire crystal (similar to what they achieved with Railmaster 60th LE), exhibition case back, black stepped dial, new bracelet...yes at around US$6-7K I might consider it.

5. c2500 May 17, 2019

If you look at the SMP page: https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/speedmaster/moonwatch/professional/product, there's a timer counting UP to 50 years. I wonder if that's when a new model will be released... Not sure what other reason to have it there...

6. GoBlueJedi May 17, 2019

Do you think they'd make the update if they couldn't get it NASA certified? I assume a sapphire crystal would be a dealbreaker for them.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  7. Riviera Paradise May 17, 2019

Good point, but I am not betting on them getting the certification for the 3861. I honestly don't think they care too much either. As long as they have the First Watch Worn on Moon phrase and NASA willing to take part in marketing events, well for the majority of their potential client base I think that will be good enough.

For us WIS nerds it will suck, but most of us have a 1861, 861 and a lucky few even some 321 Speedys. I would purchase a new 3861 Speedy Pro as an updated version with a design and technical link to the original Speedmaster.

8. GoBlueJedi May 17, 2019

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I've been planning on purchasing as Speedmaster in the (hopefully) very near future. I was waiting to see if there would be an update to coincide with the 50th Anniversary, especially if it included a new co-axial movement. The NASA certification is a big draw for me. Obviously, I'm not going into space anytime soon, but knowing the watch meets or exceeds the same specs as the original that went to the Moon is exceedingly impressive to me and part of the watch's allure. I'm not sure I'd be as interested in an update if it didn't come with the certification. That is obviously just my own personal opinion. But for me, the benefits of the co-axial movement wouldn't outweigh the connection to the original.

eliev, Kostaroska and artek like this.
  9. artek May 17, 2019

This. Couldn’t agree more.

Kostaroska likes this.
  10. BenjaminT May 17, 2019

Yes, but why is METAS preferablr to flight qualified by NASA?

11. JeremyS May 17, 2019

I don’t know Omega would curtail production of the 1861; the fact it’s flight-qualified for use in space by NASA features prominently on the case back. At least, I prefer to think they wouldn’t. It’s a better endorsement than “Master Chronometer.”

artek likes this.
  12. ckimrie May 17, 2019

Gotta say I’m also hoping for a standard Speedy with the latest tech & reliability of the 3861. Given the 5yr warranty ambitions, it makes sense that it’ll happen eventually (but next year or beyond).

Can’t stop the relentless march of progress.

13. GoBlueJedi May 17, 2019

I guess my question would be: Is there a reason it couldn't (or I guess, wouldn't be) both?

14. AntonisCy May 17, 2019

I have to agree that i would be all over the standard moonwatch with the updated movement and bracelet of the steel 50th Apollo 11.

15. maxbelg May 17, 2019

I think the co-axial movement is an entirely unnecessary complication. Other companies (Rolex) use tradional, easily servicable, swiss lever movements with similar or better accuracy.

I won’t buy any Omega with a co-axial movement and bought a new 1861 Speedy recently because I’m afraid Omega will look for an excuse to push up their prices on the Speedy, by introducing it with their co-axial technology......

The only nice thing on the new LE for me is the bracelet!

stuart70, robinhook, mblease and 3 others like this.
  16. GoBlueJedi May 17, 2019

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I rather like the current Speedmaster Professional bracelet. For me, it adds just the right amount of modern flair to the classic case and dial. I have nothing against the steel LE bracelet (I know it's a classic), but I just prefer the current one. That being said, I'd like to see Omega add the little mini first link like we see in the new Moonshine bracelet. I don't own a Speedy yet, but I've heard that the first link sticks out a bit, especially on smaller wrists, due to that larger first center link. My wrist is probably on the smaller side of medium, so this could help mitigate that issue a little.

artek likes this.
  17. jacobw2460 May 17, 2019

I posted this in a different thread, but it’s more useful here. I too had been waiting to see what the 50th anniversary would bring, and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to afford the 321 reissue. I think I’m more and more convinced of buying a standard Speedy Pro now - while the 3861 looks like an amazing movement, it’s moving further and further away from the 861/1861 and the 321 before it. That’s kind of the appeal of a Speedy to me - it’s basically a vintage watch with a new warranty. We all know that the 3861 will be in the standard Speedy at some point (no way they’d pay for that R&D and not use it), but it’s somewhat disappointing, if that’s the right word, to see how the super traditional model could change. And if it’s not flight-qualified? Woof.

Kostaroska, artek and rainking like this.
  18. GoBlueJedi May 17, 2019

Woof indeed.

jacobw2460 likes this.
  19. rainking May 17, 2019

I'm not sure about this. The way the watch nerd world is, I won't be at all surprised if the introduction of a co-axial movement on the regular Speedy Pro doesn't drive prices UP on 861s/1861s.

maxbelg and jacobw2460 like this.
  20. GoBlueJedi May 17, 2019

I think it probably would if the co-axial isn't NASA certified. People will want the last watch with that designation. If it is, there might still be some push, at least initially, for people who want that 861-1861 connection or who want to snag one for under $6000. Longer term would probably be more uncertain. Good question, though.