Forums Latest Members

Update on best Omega service center?

1. Batty Aug 12, 2019

I have searched around various forums and threads trying to figure out the best place to get my Planet Ocean Chrono serviced but I am finding real mixed messages. STS seems to be popular but there are also a good few posts with disgruntled watch owners saying things such as 'STS, never again' which is putting me off a little. Then again, they apparently service 15,000 watches per year so a few bad reports is understandable amongst a sea of glowing reports?

Duncan at Genesis gets rave reviews and is very popular but there also seems to be a huge waiting list of 6 months or so.

Can Swatch be recommended highly?

The watch needs a little more than a service as one of the components needs replacing. There is an interesting story as to why, actually. I live in Thailand and whilst visiting the Northern mountain region on a biking holiday my friend and I rode our bikes past a sign that said 'kayaking, this way' one morning and decided that a gentle bit of kayaking would be a good way to nurse our hangovers, expecting a gentle meander down the peaceful looking river. After turning a few bends the river turned into a full-bore rapid and went on for 9 kilometers, 5 hours of torture, making the hangovers far worse. My first time in a Kayak, by the way, and this was seriously pro level kayaking. I begged the guide to get me the hell out of there but he said there was no way out other than paddling down. I even asked him if he could organize a chopper to get me out of there at one point, willing to pay up to 500 quid to do so but sadly, none was available (of course) but thats how desperate I was to be out of this situation. At one point I capsized and the watch was blown off my wrist by the force of the current. We spent an hour trying to dive down and look for it but as soon as you went a few feet under you were carried 20 feet downriver. Long story short, I put out a 1000 GBP reward for the local guides to find it and after 5 of them spent 2 weeks diving a 500-meter section of the rapid, they found it, and I flew back North to collect it. The watch was remarkably still ticking (I guess the movement of the river helped) but a few weeks later it stopped, and I sent it off to Omega in Bangkok to be repaired.

I am just outside of my 2 year service warranty, and it has stopped again. The chrono does not reset and it does not tick. A local watch repair guy had a look and showed me that part that needed replacing. I could send it back to Swatch in Bangkok but knowing the Thais, I do wonder if only half a job was done when previously serviced (no disrespect intended towards them in saying that). I think this time round I need to find the most reputable service center to completely strip it and have a good root around inside. I am in the UK for 2 weeks shortly and will send it off while I am there. I understand it might take a few months to get it back but I am happy to leave it with family until my return.

Any suggestions on the 'best' place to go would be appreciated. I guess 'best' is subjective, but I have a feeling most of you will probably suggest the same place, whichever that may be.

Much appreciated - thanks so much

Batty

2. AntonisCy Aug 12, 2019

@Archer would be a good option.

GrouchoM likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 12, 2019

From what I've seen with other Speedie owners in the UK, STS are quite capable and one of their watchmakers has now gon independent and set up his own business. Just search for Simon Freese Watchmaker.

He comes highly recommended.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 12, 2019

Yes, he would, but I think the OP is trying to focus on the UK.

Batty likes this.
  5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 12, 2019

Assuming there is no "vintage" element involved - that is there is nothing in terms of patina or other original parts you wish to preserve, then STS, Swatch or Simon Freese in the UK would probably be recommended. There is nothing to stop you contacting each one with your story and seeing what they reply with.

As with just about any process involving human intervention there is no absolute guarantee that the work will be done absolutely perfectly 100% of the time, but at least you have the backup that if there is a deficiency, these people will be in a position to put it right.

As for negative reviews, yes, they may be a cause for thought, but I always tend to remember the old adage "When we do right, nobody remembers. When we do wrong, nobody forgets." (apparently popularly linked with the Hell's Angels)

JimInOz likes this.
  6. Batty Aug 12, 2019

Thanks for the reply - it sounds like that may be outside of the UK though.

7. Batty Aug 12, 2019

Thanks, one to consider. Appreciate it.

8. Batty Aug 12, 2019

Yes it is a modern watch, just 6 years old. I think you are absolutley correct, the sheer volume of watches STS service means there will always be a few that go badly. Im sure they are absolutley great for the most part and they are the company I am veering towards I think.

9. Stevedssd Aug 12, 2019

I have a 1992 Speedy with STS being serviced at present. Current turnaround is given as 30 working days. They have had mine for 20 and estimated another five for it to be ready. I'll post more when I get it back.