Forums Latest Members
  1. wagudc Jan 11, 2019

I inherited this watch from my Dad, who received it as a gift new in 1971. I never recall him wearing it, but it sat in his closet since at least the mid 80's. Inside the case back it is labeled 145.022-69 ST, and the movement is an 861. It has the serial number: 29113337. The dial is like none I have seen anywhere. It has a painted logo, a step, but does not say "Proffessional" or "Swiss Made." It also lacks the two dots at 12:00 and the hour marks do not extend over the step. It no longer glows in the dark. In idea what this dial is? I would be surprised if it was not original, because the watch did not get used much. However it is like nothing I have seen anywhere. You can see in my not so great images. IMG_5660.JPG IMG_5662.JPG IMG_5666.JPG

2. wagudc Jan 11, 2019

Oops, Professional not Proffesional.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 11, 2019

It has been redialed. Ie it’s a real dial but someone reprinted it. Common in the 70’s uncommon on a speedmaster.

Samir, Speedmasterfan88 and gdupree like this.
  4. OMEGuy Jan 11, 2019

This is a redial. One of the worst I've ever seen.

5. wagudc Jan 12, 2019

I am a little confused. Are you saying it is a real speedmaster dial that has been reprinted? Also, what was common in the 70's? reprinting or this dial?

6. rcs914 Jan 12, 2019

It's a real speedmaster, but the dial that came with the watch appears to have been stripped and re-painted. The printing that was put on it is atrocious unfortunately. Dial refinishing used to be pretty common - there would be a blemish or something and they would paint it and re-apply the printing. In this case it looks like they used a mimeograph to do the print job. When you look at pictures of other -69 speedmasters, that's what the dials should look like. The good news is that it is possible to source a correct dial for the watch, so that it looks right, but the bad news is that it isn't particularly cheap. Not as bad as an earlier one, but still would probably be north of $1K.

Otherwise though, the watch looks good - not too polished on the case, and the bezel is in great shape, and the hands are good too. It's definitely worth sourcing a correct dial for it. Almost all of the value for vintage watches is wrapped up in the fiddly little bits that tend to get replaced during a service or as they wear out. This is why if you search the forum you will see person after person state to never send your vintage watch back to Omega for servicing - because they will replace the dial, the hands, the bezel, the crown, the pushers, etc with new ones, so that the watch looks "new" - but this absolutely destroys the collectibility and the value of the watch.

If you tell us where you are, there are lots whom can suggest a watchmaker you could take it too. And if you are lucky, someone here might even have a spare dial they could sell you. In your particular case I think even a service dial replacement would be an improvement over the one that is in it though.

Samir and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 12, 2019

Yes it’s a real dial that has been poorly reprinted. It’s not common for it to have happened on speedmasters. It’s very common on other watches when replacement dials where hard to source during the 60’s and 70’s. Many watchmakers offered this service to “restore “ damaged dials. Back then originality didn’t matter.

Sourcing a correct 861 step dial will not be impossible, but not cheap. Although once you have you have a pretty great watch.

Fish70 likes this.
  8. wagudc Jan 12, 2019

I am on the west coast of the US, Portland, OR or Northern California are not too far.

Samir likes this.
  9. Cipolla Jan 12, 2019

Like the watch. Just check out some times the market place for a non modified dial and you’ve got a pretty nice pre moon.

10. wagudc Mar 19, 2019

I thought I would give you all an update. I did not be find an original step dial, but I did come up with a newer tritium dial for the price of a new super lumanova one. I think it is a huge improvement over the bad redail, and I will be happy to wear my Dad's old watch. Someday I may get the proper dial. Thanks to Kelly Hunter at Art of the Watch for doing the service, and installing the dial.

IMG953448.jpg
    Edited Feb 29, 2024
  11. WYO_Watch Mar 19, 2019

You made quick work of that replacement! Good work :thumbsup:

So many of these threads get started and we never get to see a final result. Not to mention such a nice looking one ::love::

Hope you stick around, enjoy your watch!

12. DotOverNine Mar 19, 2019

Glad to see you happy! Watch is looking great.

wagudc likes this.
  13. Wuza72 Mar 19, 2019

That was worth it !

Congrats

wagudc likes this.
  14. OMEGuy Mar 19, 2019

Thank you for the update. Feels just like the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde... Well done! :thumbsup:

wagudc likes this.
  15. Folgono Mar 19, 2019

Cool update ! Where did you find that dial ? Not correct but at least the watch look great :thumbsup:

wagudc likes this.
  16. wagudc Mar 19, 2019

Found the dial on EBAY, it was on Buy It Now for a good price. It was my Dad's watch and he passed away in January. It was more important to get the watch to where I can enjoy wearing it, than to wait for the right dial to a show up. I can still keep an eye out for a step dial while I enjoy this one.

Edited Nov 20, 2023
    DaveK, Fish70, Retsamaes and 12 others like this.
  17. wagudc Feb 28, 2024

I thought I would give another update to my first ever post on OF. I was able to find a proper step dial and verify its authenticity with the help of @Foo2rama. I just got it back from the watchmaker with the new to me dial installed. The light was not great when I took the photos, but I was eager to share the results.

P2280214.JPG P2280202.JPG

18. JwRosenthal Feb 28, 2024

This is a thrill to see! Talk about completing the circle. Now that your original reason for joining has been fulfilled, I’ve enjoyed our time together- best of luck.

Dr. Arnaud, jB1128, OneTwo and 2 others like this.
  19. wagudc Feb 28, 2024

You're not done with me yet. All you enablers have got me started on other watches. Also, at some point I want to get an 1175 bracelet for this watch. Not right now though, the watch kitty is pretty empty at this point.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 28, 2024

Stunning glad it all worked out!!!!

jB1128, Fish70 and wagudc like this.