Forums Latest Members
  1. kreyke Oct 30, 2017

Hello OF,

I am just wondering how long does the Swiss customs take to refund import charges due to an undelivered, returned item.

I purchased an omega constellation at an auction in zofingen somewhere in May. It took a long time to clear the U.K. customs as they needed to contact the auction house for a value. Let’s just say they aren’t very prompt at replying. This whole custom clearing process took longer than expected and when it was finally delivered, I had begun my month long holiday overseas.

I checked parcelforce website and they stated they held packages for 30 days so I thought I was well covered. But when I came back to the U.K. and tried to pay the custom taxes, they have already sent the item back. It turns out that for unpaid duty packages, they held it for only 20 days.

As it arrived back in Switzerland (now its end August), the parcel has been taxed. The auction house refuses to release the package back to me until they have claimed back the VAT.

The auction house said that they can release the item to me if I cover the custom charges. They would refund it back to me when they get their refund.

It has been close to 3 months now and I’m still not hearing back from them with any updates. I am wondering how long does it take for the customs to usually process such refunds?

I’m wondering what other options I have. Could I get a full refund on the watch (less the postage)? Do I have any rights to demand they release my package?

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 30, 2017

I believe the best for you will be to pay the auction house and wait till they get the refund and then you will get your refund.

AFAIK there is no rule nor SLA with our Swiss tax services, they will do it when they will do it. Shall I add IF they will do it.

Most probably the package hasn’t been properly tagged as returned goods (because of no claim or whatever else) so our customs have taxed parcel and if so there will be no refund at all, I’m afraid...

3. kreyke Oct 30, 2017

The item was shipped out with a tracking number. They would have a receipt of payment from me a well. Is that insufficient to prove that they have shipped it out previously? The same tracking number (if it is still working) shows that it was returned to Switzerland too.

If I pay the auction house and they are unable to get their refund, it is going to be a very expensive constellation.. :( I tried looking for photos of it but it has been so long ago that the catalog is no longer available.

4. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 31, 2017

That’s the question you should ask them... I have only shared my opinion based on my own experience with returned packages. It’s also one reason why I don’t like shipping abroad when I sell a watch or parts.

5. kreyke Oct 31, 2017

This auction house doesn't reply emails either. It makes it very difficult for me to understand what is going on. Sigh.

6. davidswiss Nov 1, 2017

What do they say when you telephone ?
    It might be an idea to put a call out to swiss forum members who could call in person for you.

kreyke likes this.
  7. kreyke Nov 3, 2017

I’ve not tried telephoning them, I’m not very willing to pay the international call charges. I’ve sent them multiple emails now but they only reply occasionally. I have not heard back from them since September, where they offered to post it to me if I paid the custom charges now. They have also mentioned that the request for the custom charge refund was submitted on the very day that they received the package. I’ve repeatedly asked for updates but I haven’t actually had any concrete status update except that they have submitted the refund request.

I have tried contacting the Swiss customs and the Swiss mail but I am still waiting to hear back from them as well. Does anyone have any experience with their customer service previously?

I would really appreciate if a Swiss member could perhaps make a phone call on my behalf. Any kind me,need out there, shoot me a PM if you’re feeling nice. :oops:

8. davidswiss Nov 4, 2017

Kreyke, I'm not back there until mid April next year which, I think, is leaving it too long. I've had limited dealings with swiss customs but that experience told me that the people in Geneva were very unhelpful while Basel were. I really suggest that you telephone. A friendly voice is often more difficult to dismiss than an email.

kreyke likes this.
  9. kreyke Nov 4, 2017

Ah. Bummer. Thanks for the advice. I will try calling them on Monday then. Thanks!

davidswiss likes this.
  10. kippyk Nov 4, 2017

The Swiss are all about the rules and process from my experience. Do not expect them to deviate or take short-cuts.

11. kreyke Dec 30, 2017

Thanks for the advice guys. Initially I was very hesitant about waiting and the more I looked at the auction photos, the more I felt like it was a bad purchase. I thought of refunding or disputing the purchase because they wouldn’t release it but I decided to wait a little more.

Finally, after 8 months, I have the watch in hand. It’s a lot better in person. Auction photos are terrible. It’s sharp and beautiful. You can still see the original finish on the lugs. No regrets.

I’ll let the photos do the talking. 60F8059E-FF55-41AE-8AA0-54A9237A7ED1.jpeg 99202973-72F7-4A27-8B39-2435F8B534E9.jpeg 78F6A243-D57F-47CC-86CE-E33C63B8CEE8.jpeg D79DB2A2-08D0-4F1B-8F48-04A0F35582D8.jpeg 5D378514-BA76-45E0-A5D9-B608AF810A2B.jpeg

12. davidswiss Dec 30, 2017

That looks very good. Must have been a bind to wait so long but glad that it all worked out. Good buy eventually.

13. ConElPueblo Dec 30, 2017

Sheesh, am I the only one here to not own a Constellation with a textured dial? :(

What a case - great job on securing that lovely specimen!

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 30, 2017

Thought you were over constellations :whistling:

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 30, 2017

Worth the wait @kreyke nice example. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

16. ConElPueblo Dec 30, 2017

Dog-legged ones, man! Keep up! :p

I have a "Constellation Bucket List"... While a perfect, full set cal. 551 dog-leg Constellation w/ crosshairs is on it, it's likely to be the last one I get...

STANDY likes this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 30, 2017

Will have to wait for the bucket list thread then....... ::yawn::

18. ConElPueblo Dec 30, 2017

Let's just say that a textured dial is pretty high up on it. As is a rail track version. And a proper black dial. And a solid rose gold case. And, and, and...

STANDY likes this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 30, 2017

Thought everyone had a hobnail one ::confused2::

A4.jpg

20. fjf Dec 30, 2017

No.

[​IMG]

ConElPueblo likes this.