Forums Latest Members

Upcoming Moonwatch anniversary watches?

1. Omegallo Jan 16, 2021

Anyone aware of upcoming moonwatch anniversaries or special releases in the next year or two?

2. angschte Jan 17, 2021

It‘s a crystal ball discussion, however:
    - no signs off a 3rd Speedy Tuesday, also RB I think wrote somewhere that this year no new one is coming
    - Olympics re-release unlikely
    - It‘s the year of the new 3861, so likely lot of marketing focus there
    - Snoopy III still mostly undelievered
    So many things speaking against any anniversary models.

On the other hand: Apollo 15 50th anniversary is coming up in 2021. There was a watch in 2006 (35th) and 2011 (40th). Both I would say not sooo successful?

Just some thoughts.

david5807 likes this.
  3. texasmade Jan 17, 2021

I don’t think most people are too enthusiastic about the Apollo’s other 11, 13, and 17. Celebrating Apollo 9 or something like that seems a little over the top to me.

4. Omegallo Jan 17, 2021

Interesting thoughts. With the new “standard” moonwatch release definitely seems like omega will focus on that. Also didn’t seem like there was any major anniversaries for the moonwatch coming up this year.

I for one do really enjoy the design of the non-moonwatch speedy releases (olympics, speedy Tuesday, or just collaborations like tin tin or ultra man) but felt there wasn’t any historical significance for these to tie in as a moonwatch. And the speedy definitely feels like a moonwatch before anything else.

5. Omegallo Jan 17, 2021

I know Apollo 11 was first watch on the moon, Apollo 13 was about the issues that occurred in space and becoming a rescue mission with an important role the speedy played in timing the burn to get back on earth.

What’s the significance of Apollo 17? Last mission on the moon?

6. texasmade Jan 17, 2021

Correct. It was the last Apollo mission to the moon.

7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 18, 2021

Let's see how X-33 matters to Omega... as March 1996 - March 2021 will mark " 25 years X-33 Speedmaster used in spaceflight missions "
    or if they count from the official onboard Mir presentation in March 1998... that quarter-century anniversary will occur in March 2023...
    But already 2022 will mark 50 years Apollo 17... as 2025 will mark 50 years ASTP

Opportunities galore for LE Speedmaster but IMHO only the " 50 years Apollo-Soyuz " is an important anniversary !
    Especially if You know what they were able to come up with in 1976... the best looking Speedmaster even didn't have the word Speedmaster on its dial !
    mStanga_ApolloSoyuz.jpg

8. angschte Jan 18, 2021

Phill, would that not have been more appropriate to celebrate in 2020, as the mission was in 1975?
    https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo-soyuz/astp_mission.html