Forums Latest Members
  1. billving Nov 19, 2016

I have done some reading about this brand and see examples in Paul White's book.

Can anyone offer any insights on the brand in general and comments or issues with this example?

Thanks in advance

Bill unver triple mvmt.jpg unver triple.jpg

2. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2016

Some questions:
    - Who's Paul White?
    - If there's an Unver, is there an Oder? I mean, you can't have ying without yang. :D
    - Is that the specific watch you're thinking of buying or are those just pics as an example?

3. billving Nov 19, 2016

Paul White published a huge 3 volume opus on virtually all chronographs over the last 100 yrs or so from every major brand to many that you've never heard of. Not a ton of technical detail, but lots of pics movements references published along side period adds, movie posters etc. Fascinating but also fascinatingly expensive.

Unver is a dead brand (has it been resurrected?) from the 20's 30's 40's I believe.

A few pop up from time to time for sale

4. billving Nov 19, 2016

IMG_0676.JPG Quick pic of some unvers from the 30s and 40s

Landron and Valjoux movement.

5. billving Nov 19, 2016

sorrym valjoux in the vulcan, not the Unver's

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 19, 2016

Pseudonym of a guy who tried to collect every chronograph more or less indiscriminately, then published a three volume picture book with next to useless text, and then put the watches on auction. Hugely uneven collection in both quality and condition, absolute gems next to junk. Definitely a case of quantity over quality, but makes a very interesting browse.

Mark020 likes this.
  7. billving Nov 19, 2016

Some old info says that it was absorbed into UG when examples used Martel movments, others say no relationship. I can say that I'd buy the two in the above pic if I could!

8. billving Nov 19, 2016

Agreed LouS.