Forums Latest Members
  1. Jonathan40 Oct 19, 2018

We have a very varied demographic of people and their occupations here on the forum so did you do anything this week at work you were not expecting.
    I’ll start: I’m a systems engineer and was in office as normal Wednesday in Surrey then by 10am Thursday I was in a very secure Naval base trying to work out why Nuclear Submarines had no TV being delivered. Very strange environment which hampered engineering solutions with lots of rules about IT and phones not being available for use.

2. connieseamaster Oct 19, 2018

I'm a bridge engineer. Started off the week being cold, 100' in the air, on a barge under a bridge. Ended the week in the office writing reports

3. haqq777 Oct 19, 2018

Worked from home last week. Very unusual to see your 16 month old sneak up on you every 10 mins or so with various items ranging from remote controls and clothes to an open peanut butter jar. I was terrified at one point trying to figure out whether there was peanut butter on her pajamas or if the pamper had leaked (it was PB thank God). We made (and I ate) PB & J sandwiches afterwards, lol.

4. albertob Oct 20, 2018

Worked from home as well.

I have been sick the last two weeks but hey, consulting never sleeps.

The huge pro was that I had a tab with omega forum open :D

Alberto

Millenary Watches likes this.
  5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 20, 2018

I'm a process engineer at a company that designs and manufactures high powered LED lighting for heavy vehicles

Spent the week giving the engineering team shit for designing a lamp that's damn near impossible to manufacture efficiently. We found out it was also not properly tested during development and so threw over 20,000 dollars worth of half built parts into the shit can when the adhesive started to dissolve the lenses on the first run we sealed up.

I'm taking a gun to work Monday to solve a few HR issues with the engineering team...

Watch the news Monday night

Edited Oct 20, 2018
    Jonathan40, Om3ga321 and Spacefruit like this.
  6. ras47 Oct 20, 2018

At FedEx we're going to a 6-day work week It's Peak Season, holiday shopping. My typical week is Tuesday through Saturday, early morning start. Depending on the day, anywhere from 3:30 AM to 4:30 AM. Now adding Mondays at the incredibly late start time of 5:00 AM.

Delivering the Purple Promise, now SIX says a week. :)

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 20, 2018

It must pain you to see the thrashing that Fedex takes on occasion here. :( Not from me. I’m a huge fan.

ras47 likes this.
  8. ras47 Oct 20, 2018

Nah. We have our fair share of epic screw-ups. :)

9. SeanO Oct 20, 2018

I’m a liquor and gaming inspector, every day is freaky.

10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 20, 2018

Work would be great if it wasn't for the clients and employees.

:D

11. lillatroll Oct 20, 2018

I am a teacher. This week I got told to F off several times in the space of 30 seconds, not unusual, I was told I was cute, not unusual, I was told to go F myself, not unusual, I got told I was the most amazing person on the planet,not unusual I got told I was an idiot and I should die, not unusual, I got told that I was the the best teacher ever....not unusual. I love my job and I don t sweat the f offs, it’s just kids being stressed and not knowing how to express themselves in a coherent manner, as long as they know you won’t bail out on them, they will be ok in the end.

12. S.H. Oct 20, 2018

I'm an independent watch repairman. A usual working week is filled with booby-trapped watches and smart-assed clients.
    In a less usual working week (like this one) I must get the 8mm Lorch out its box:

DSC_5338.jpeg

13. CdnWatchDoc Oct 20, 2018

I work as a cancer physician and researcher in a centre in Canada-on Wednesday I participated in a media sponsored public Town Hall providing information on marijuana, medical and recreational...we have started a very interesting social experiment here with legalized access to cannabis. 20 years ago I would have never thought this would happen!!

14. Skrv Oct 20, 2018

Spent some time in Disney Orlando with the family. Now regretting time off and going through a slew of emails trying to get ready for Monday. Flight of passage was fun though.

bigsom likes this.
  15. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 21, 2018

Was a strange week, indeed. Decided that it’s time to get out of the comfort zone and look for another job after ten years.

65AD7965-F079-4336-9375-D6E5F4E5F29D.jpeg

16. time flies Nov 3, 2018

Art for money...Gordon Lightfoot. Hershey Theatre 20181103_214754.jpg 20181103_214712.jpg 20181103_214318.jpg
    Have fun
    kfw

17. time flies Nov 14, 2018

Art for money. 20181114_193453.jpg
    Sorry.

have fun
    kfw

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  18. FREDMAYCOIN Nov 14, 2018

I’m a mechanical engineer working for an analytical instrument manufacture, and the company has been acquired by a larger company, so we are implementing a host of new tools, including “SAP” which is Simply A Pain in the arse.

nonuffinkbloke, Archer and kov like this.
  19. haqq777 Nov 14, 2018

In another lifetime, I used to work in SAP consulting. My area of expertise was finance and control (FICO). Harder than most modules but nowhere near as hard (for me) as ABAP which was advanced programming. I switched fields as it was something I hated working on so I definitely feel you. That said, SAP is without a doubt the best ERP solution in the market so you guys are probably on the right track.

FREDMAYCOIN likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 15, 2018

Okay this brought back some memories, and none of them good.

Implementation at my former employer (where I also worked as a mechanical/project engineer) was fraught with difficulties. Because we were a smaller, self-contained version of the larger company (with our own accounting, sales, planning, etc. functions), we were selected as the pilot manufacturing plant (something you never want to be) for our multi-billion dollar Fortune 500 multi-national corporation. Despite SAP spending months in advance of the go live date shadowing people to understand our business and how our legacy systems operated, the entire plant basically ground to a halt when it was implemented. The big issues were in the planning and scheduling areas, but it also affected how things like capital budgets were handled, and that was my territory as I was looking after that budget at the time. Complete nightmare that literally took years to get sorted out...it was as bad as we thought the whole Y2K scare might be, but never was.

And of course what was learned in our experience was quickly forgotten and the same mistakes were repeated when other parts of the business implemented the system. Oh yes...good times...:rolleyes:

FREDMAYCOIN likes this.