Forums Latest Members

Unusual Vintage Olma Jumbo - New to Me

1. kip595 Jun 15, 2020

Hi guys;

Popped into a local 'junk shop' today for the first time and much to my surprise the somewhat elderly owner is a watch enthusiast. While he has sold most of his inventory, he had a few nice estate pieces - going back to see an Oyster at some point once he finds it; it's that sort of "It's here SOMEWHERE..." little independent shop. Passed on a decent, un-polished gold Seamaster that looked to be from the late 50s because of a new incoming which I'll post about soon, but snagged a really unusual vintage 'Olma' time only piece. I understand Olma was a sort of mid-tier workaday brand from Numa-Jeannin that began in the 20s.

I've seen a few Olmas before, but none had ever really caught my eye. Today, though, was the exception. First is the dial, which has patina-ed into a fantastic sunset orange, mostly uniform with some areas slightly lighter than others. This is a great contrast with the chromium (or similar plating) which has rather minor wear overall, still very presentable. It doesn't appear refinished or touched up even when examined under my loupe, but of course with the age it can't be guaranteed. Lovely blued hands that still catch the light, despite how thin they are.

It's a sub-seconds, but the seconds sector is at the 9:00 position instead of the more usual 6:00. Beautiful, simple Arabic numerals that are non-lume and still very legible, no markings on dial except 'Olma' and immediately below; 'Ancer'; below that '15 Rubis'. Removal of the plain caseback reveals a pretty clean 15 jewel manual wind marked 'Swiss', 'Olma', and of course jewel count. I think this is an AS movement, but am not certain and happy to be corrected.

The clincher, however, was the size. I don't have my calipers handy at the moment, but against a metric ruler appears to be a full 40mm w/o the crown. It is larger than a 38mm when held against one another and a 41mm held in front of it obscures it, but only barely. I've never seen an Olma of this size, and few watches from this era in this size at all. That said my guess is early '50s, possibly earlier.

Snapped it up after a short negotiation and I'm happy to say that although I will be having my watch guy look it over, in a test once home it ran like a top and kept time to the second over the course of three hours alongside my recently serviced SMP chronometer.

I know an Olma will never be an Omega or even a Wittnauer, but it is definitely a well-made, good-looking (to me anyway) piece in an uncommon size with just enough quirkiness to the design. I'd love to hear what you guys think or even if you've just ever come across a similar one. Not 100% sure it'll be a long-term keeper, but it's definitely got a spot in the collection for now. :)

Olma - 4.jpg Olma - 3.jpg Olma - 2.jpg Olma - 1.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the crappy camera phone pics, will try to post better soon. These really don't do the condition justice!

Edited Jun 15, 2020
    Fliegerchrono and Vitezi like this.
  2. kip595 Jun 22, 2020

Better pics w/new leather strap. The lower strap section is about a half mm undersized, around 17.5, but I think the color goes well with the pumpkin-patina.

Anyone have thoughts on this one? Just curious if anyone has any opinions or insights.

IMG_9678.JPG IMG_9679.JPG IMG_9674.JPG IMG_9673.JPG

3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 22, 2020

Given the sub seconds at 9, and the pleasant finish on the movement, I’d guess it a pocket watch movement. Maybe the company bought a bunch to dial as wrist watches? I’d love to hear other thoughts. I like it, nice find

4. kip595 Jun 22, 2020

Thanks! After a lot of (mostly futile) research into the brand and parent company; I've come to think that it was an Adolf Michel movement, or variation of one, that was probably originally intended for pocket watches. I've been totally unable to find out if this would have been a custom-cased piece, a very nice conversion, or part of a small run/line Olma did for a while. My gut says a minor run from the brand, but I have no evidence to back this up.

Not sure I'll keep it long-term, but the accuracy in short tests has been to the second against a digital stop watch - don't have a timeographer. With the new dark grey/green strap and pumpkin patina dial it has a very nice almost military look; very hard to catch the way the light plays with the dial though.