Forums Latest Members

unusual Seamaster cal 420: diamond-shaped/faceted markers?

1. desmovalves Nov 10, 2017

Hello all!

I'm just getting started in this vintage watch hobby and I'm drawn to the early Seamasters. I've been scouring eBay and forums for some nice early, original pieces to begin a collection without spending too heavy while I'm learning.

I came across this Seamaster, allegedly a Cal 420 from 1956. Really unusual faceted/reflective hour markers, round except for diamond-shaped at 3/6/9/12.

I can't find ANY other corroborating evidence that this is an original style, but the patina on hands and dial looks correct otherwise.

So I figured I'd ask the experts! Thanks in advance, tons of great info here, I'm excited to get involved.

s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg
  2. desmovalves Nov 10, 2017

Listing ended, someone took the plunge. I don't see any "Swiss" markings at 6 o'clock. Maybe a wierd older redial?

Edited Nov 10, 2017
  3. dall-houston Nov 10, 2017

Like you I am new to the vintage watch hobby. When I first saw this watch I didn't particularly care for the markers, but due to the pristine condition of the 420 movement I kept getting drawn back to look at them. I guess they grew on me. I searched for information about these markers for more hours than I care to admit. Finally an Omega watchmaker I know replied to my inquiry about the markers. He said although they are not "unique" (one of a kind), they are Omega markers and they are rare.

Thankfully he replied early enough for me to successfully bid on the watch!

Although I have purchased my dad a 1961 Caliber 562 Seamaster and my son a 1954 Caliber 354 Seamaster, this is the 1st Seamaster for me.

4. desmovalves Nov 10, 2017

Haha, well that's good to hear, I'll know should one arise again that these are factory markers. The movement did appear to be in very nice condition. Congratulations! Please share some pics when you receive it!

dall-houston likes this.
  5. dall-houston Nov 10, 2017

I will but it will be a few weeks to a month from now. I'm having it shipped directly to my watchmaker so he can service the movement.

desmovalves likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo Nov 12, 2017

Ah, someone using "unique" correctly, how sweet a feeling...

Thanks for sharing, @desmovalves, and huge congrats to @dall-houston - lovely watch! :thumbsup:

dall-houston likes this.
  7. smorrisonmd Nov 12, 2017

Excellent buy at $330. Congrats!

dall-houston likes this.