Forums Latest Members
  1. MaxCon Jul 26, 2021

I've recently purchased this 16013 Datejust, with a Buckley Dial. The bracelet is a US "made for Rolex" JB Champion oval link.
    What is somewhat unusual is that the steel parts of the bracelet and the lugs/shoulders of the watch are a bark effect. The effect is not engraved but quite heavily stamped so I don't think its a recent 'aftermarket' addition.
    I'm trying to gather any known history of the watch but up to now I'm not having much luck.
    Is there anyone here who can assist, or point me in the right direction ? I've tried Rolex themselves and a couple of US outlets but nothing so far.
    Rolex Bark DJ (1).jpg Bark DJ 3.jpg

mbeast likes this.
  2. mbeast Jul 26, 2021

There was a dealer in the Bahamas called John Bull who finished a number of watches like this, but I think they tended to have a special engraving on the caseback too. Could be a similar thing done by a different jeweller. Looks quite cool to be fair!

3. MaxCon Jul 26, 2021

Thanks Mbeast, There is a personal engraving (initials) on the caseback but nothing that would link it to John Bull. Its such an 'odd' combination of texture that its got my curiosity going.
    Has anyone any ideas, or comments (good or bad), Is it as unique as I think it is ?

4. Screwbacks Jul 26, 2021

bark finish.

5. ConElPueblo Jul 26, 2021

Some would say that it has been ruined.

watch3s likes this.
  6. Dan S Jul 26, 2021

I think the most important thing is whether the OP enjoys it.

7. BenBagbag Jul 26, 2021

I think you are hearing that it definitely didn't leave Rolex with the bark effect.

8. watch3s Jul 29, 2021

its likely done after market. the only true rolex to have the bark finish is the day date. as long as you like it

lindo likes this.