Forums Latest Members
  1. Jack03 Aug 15, 2017

Hi All

I just bought this Omega DeVille and I would like to have your views on its authenticity and integrity as I still have a few days after I receive it to send it back in case I change my mind on the purchase (but hopefully I don't have to!).

I really like the watch and from the pictures it seems authentic and in its original conditions. The seller told me the crown, crystal, and movement are all original, the case is unpolished and the dial in its original conditions.
    There are no pictures of the movement. I was told the movement works well and has been checked by a watchmaker, however I plan to bring it to a watchmaker myself as soon as I receive it.

On the back: "WATERPROOF 166 051 tool 107".
    I managed to trace it back to this reference in the Omega Heritage website - see following link and attached b/w picture: https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/14486/

I would be grateful if you could help me with the following questions:
    - Do you think it is authentic and in its original conditions?
    - Do you know the history of this model (it seems a quite unusual De Ville to me)? Is it a collectible model or not an interesting one from a collector's perspective?

I really like the watch and my main concern is its condition / originality, however I would welcome any further insight on it.
    Hope the pictures I attached are good enough to let you judge the watch, it is all what I have at the moment.

Thanks a lot!

Jack

reference.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600-8.jpg s-l1600.jpg
    Edited Aug 15, 2017
    Edward53 likes this.
  2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 16, 2017

Looks tidy to me and still has its original case finish. Not sure if its the 17 jewel or 20 jewel version, but these early 10xx calibres did have design problems that were subject to a factory authorised fix when taken in for service. If you don't know the service history of the watch it may pay you to have a watchmaker look at it to ensure there is adequate lubrication for the movement.

I would say that at this stage of its life it has limited collectibility and is not considered an important model, but it has a nice, simple, minimalist design that looks good on the wrist. Hopefully you did not pay too much.

Cheers

Desmond

mikechi22 and Jack03 like this.
  3. Jack03 Aug 16, 2017

Thanks very much Desmond for your opinion and the insights on the movement. Do you know where I can find further information on the issues with these movement (maybe an older post you can point me to?) so I can give as much info as possible to the watchmaker.

Many thanks!

4. georgeszaslavsky Aug 16, 2017

Nice watch, get it properly fixed and serviced and enjoy it.

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 16, 2017

I wrote an essay some time ago on the 10xx series here

6. doog Aug 16, 2017

That is a fascinating and insightful essay, and has given me a whole new appreciation of these later calibres, and how they compare in reality to the much loved 500s. This place just keeps delivering.

7. Jack03 Aug 19, 2017

Desmond thanks very much this is awesome, you are an authority ;) your article is very informative, great to learn more about such critical moment in the watch industry.

The movement of my watch is likely (see link to omega archive in my post above) to be a cal 1000 or 1002 - the "best avoided" ones as per your article. I suppose I have to rely on the watchmaker to check if the authorized fix was done back in times. If I well understood, in case the fix was done I should be good if I service it regularly, right? Or do you think that a cal 1000 or 1002 (specifically) will always be problematic? I could still return the watch with minimal cost.
    Of course will listen to the watchmaker as soon as I receive the watch but I would be grateful to have your view in the scenario it is a cal 1000 or 1002.
    Thanks!

8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 19, 2017

Seeing that the cal 1002 is under the bonnet of a Ploprof (Omega divers watch) I would probably get lynched if I said these movements are too much trouble. So, while I tend to avoid them, if the movement is serviced within Omega guidelines I don't think you'd have a problem.

Cheers

Desmond

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 20, 2017

For me personally, the problematic part in comparing the 55X and family with the 1000 series, is that too much love is often given to the former, rather than not enough to the latter...

GuiltyBoomerang and mondodec like this.
  10. Jack03 Aug 20, 2017

Get the point ;) thanks a lot for sharing your views, all very helpful