Forums Latest Members

SOLD Untouched Pre-moon Speedmaster 105.012-66 CB 321

1. Dash1 Oct 1, 2015

I can't quite believe I'm selling this one but, deep breath, here goes...

A completely original and untouched Speedmaster 105.012-66 C.B. This is exactly as I got it direct from the original owner, I have not cleaned, polished, adjusted or changed anything during my ownership, in fact I haven't even worn it.
    All facets are sharp and I can guarantee it has never been polished, it may never have been serviced, or at least not since the late early 70's when he stopped wearing it. All functions currently work well although of course a sympathetic service would be in order if you were going to use it.
    The patina on this one makes me a little giddy whenever I look at it and the faded brown bezel is the icing on the cake.
    It also has an interesting back story - see below.
    014.JPG 016.JPG
    007.JPG 001.JPG 009.JPG
    015.JPG
    017.JPG
    I have left this watch exactly as I received it so please note there is still some original dirt on the bezel and case which could be cleaned off. If you are concerned about any particular area just ask and I'll have a close look and report back. The case has minor usage marks but is unpolished and has no major damage.

The guy I purchased it from was a real gent. In fact he sent me the watch from the US before I even paid for it as he had no camera to take photos with.
    Whenever I buy a watch I ask about the history (always after paying so there's no attempt to make stuff up to inflate the price!) and this is what he wrote:

"Anyway, I purchased the Omega which you own now, in Copenhagen, DK, around May of 1967, for the princely sum of $107.00 USD. Amazing, eh ??? I returned to the states late summer of that year and ran across the filming of the TCA (The Thomas Crown Affair) in Boston and the North Shore beaches and the Glider Airstrip. Because, from a distance, I share some feature with the late Steve McQueen, I lucked-out on being a periodic stand-in for him. As a Rolex -man, he wanted to buy my Omega, which was too-new to me to sell. I could have reaped a tidy bit from him, but I liked the watch. We never actually flew for filming, but he was an owner and pilot of a Stearman and other small planes. He likewise had an honorable discharge from the U.S. Marines. He also owned one of the four D-type Jaguars, right-hand drive, ss100, that one friend of mine let me use occasionally, too. So, we had a little in common, including British motorcycles. It was a great summer to say the least.
    Again, my thanks and I wish you and the family well in the new year.
    All the best,
    Kurt"

Of course this does not add any value but it certainly adds to the ownership experience imo.

£5550 Gbp with the box but without the bracelet, or £5,950 with box and bracelet. Net to me. I sincerely hope the bracelet stays with it though.
    Opportunities to purchase completely untouched early Speedmasters, especially ones in good condition and with patina to die for, are getting very, very scarce and imvho it is the best of the bread that will increase in value the most.
    Cheers Ash

Javi22, 250scr, luzer and 26 others like this.
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 1, 2015

You will probably really regret this sale in 2019! :)

3. Dash1 Oct 1, 2015

I regret it already!

donkii likes this.
  4. Dash1 Oct 1, 2015

OHPF

Thank you Omega Forum.

cristos71 and donkii like this.
  5. stef2010 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 1, 2015

Damned nice one !

6. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 1, 2015

I didn't think that one would hang around so long. ;)

7. x3no Oct 1, 2015

That only took 1 hr 30 mins.. Some kind of record? What is the fastest sales Post to OHPF?

8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 1, 2015

I guess I'm surprised it took that long ;) I'll bet Kyle has the record for fastest sale :)

9. sliceoftime_ Oct 1, 2015

Absolutely stunning one! Congrats to the new owner!

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 1, 2015

I think one of tomvox's sold in 30 mins.. can't find the thread.

11. sliceoftime_ Oct 1, 2015

I can admit I bought one of Kyle's watches in record time if I'm not mistaken for around 23 minutes.

12. donkii Oct 1, 2015

Sold my Suverän in 6min :) Not my fastest sale but it was a fast one.
    However, congrats to the sale and to the buyer, an absolute stunner!

13. marturx Oct 1, 2015

Beautiful, beautiful example! Priceless. That's one of those that it's almost impossible to overpay.

Congrats to both buyer and seller.

But a little more to the buyer :p

Spacefruit and t_swiss_t like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 1, 2015

My old CK14900 piepan I posted and after coming back to my computer from having some beans on toast there were a pile of PMs, I think the first one who I ended up selling it to was after 10 minutes or something. The good ones go bloody quick every time.

15. pascs Oct 1, 2015

It is a great looking watch

16. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 1, 2015

Comparing this watch to the 105 in the Phillips auction, I would take this one every time.
    I'm sure you could have sold this ten times over at your asking price.
    Nice to see that not everyone here is motivated by greed.
    Someone here just got a bargain.

Edited Oct 1, 2015
    MikiJ, x3no, RawArcher and 1 other person like this.
  17. ulackfocus Oct 1, 2015

If a watch is listed in the sales forum for everyone to see, it can't be considered for the record. Many watches sell behind the scenes to the first person with "dibs" on them.

x3no likes this.
  18. emilio Oct 1, 2015

Awesome watch!

19. Ludi Oct 1, 2015

Yep, I concur with that !