Forums Latest Members

Unmarked crown on my El Primero

1. Strangedream Nov 10, 2019

I bought a second hand Zenith this week end and I was so focused on the dial and the movement that I forgot to check the crown. Few hours after buying the watch I realized the crown is a cheap generic part. I contacted the seller who was not aware either.

Here are my questions:
    (1) Should I return the watch? I really like it and this particular model is the one I wanted.
    (2) How hard is it to source the correct crown for a Class El Primero?
    (3) How much value am I losing (not intending to resell, but obviously I don't have full genuine set)
    (4) Why do people replace/steal watch crowns?

Thanks for your help!

2BB21028-D967-4638-834F-673EA530927B.JPG
  2. Dan S Nov 10, 2019

It was probably serviced by an independent watchmaker who didn't have access to correct parts, and used that crown to restore water resistance. Probably the most likely way to get the right crown would be to send it in for a full service at the official LVMH service center. Until you're ready to do that, you should probably just live with it if it's working properly.

Strangedream likes this.
  3. bikehomero Nov 10, 2019

Not all Zenith El Primero crowns where marked. Don't know if yours should have a logo or not.

4. Strangedream Nov 10, 2019

Everything is working fine but I have strong doubts about the previous servicing job (scratch on the back glass, generic crown, and crack on the 12 hour lume). I also heard chilling stories of unscrupulous watchmakers who stole parts to resell them on the black market. Thanks for the advice, I saw Zenith has one boutique in my city, I will check with them.

5. Strangedream Nov 10, 2019

I compared with pictures and listings from other ref.01.0501.400 and so far all of them have crowns bearing the old quadrant Zenith logo.

6. preacher Nov 10, 2019

7. Strangedream Nov 10, 2019

Thanks for the link! I'll check with Zenith or a local watchmaker I can trust first before deciding to buy this part.
    The watch runs fine so far, but I dare not submerge it with that leather strap and the questionable crown.

8. wristpirate Nov 10, 2019

IMO the crown is one of the least important parts on the watch head. Unless if it was an early El Primero there the correct crowns can cost a lot. I personally would not return this watch and instead look for a correct part.

9. preacher Nov 10, 2019

I agree but I would advise the opener about the cost of Zenith service on EP