Forums Latest Members
  1. jannaj Jan 10, 2014

Hey guys!

I'm new to this subject and would really appreciate some help. I'm interested in buying the watch in the picture. I have contacted the seller for better pictures and haven't gotten them yet. The seller doesn't seem to know too much about this watch. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Screen shot 2014-01-10 at 15.25.45.png

2. Habitant Jan 11, 2014

Well, you sure aren't giving us anything to go on!

Okay: the case is hammered. Does that bother you? If it were me, I'd have it re-plated. I can only guess at the movement as being something from 1950-60, so maybe a calibre 40-T (http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&a&2uswk&Zenith_40_1).

My instinct is that it needs some TLC, so you should anticipate having it serviced and re-plated. You don't say where you're based, but I would estimate you are looking at around $100 minimum to service this movement (barring any problems within it) and around $50 to re-plate it. In the strictest sense - the eBay test - adding those costs to the probable cost of purchase and I'd suggest that you'd be taking on this project for love, rather than immediate profit.

But then, I do that all the time myself, so...

3. jannaj Jan 12, 2014

Thank you for your very thorough answer. I have the same problem with the seller, he isn't giving me any new information. I'm based in Finland which usually means that we can double the estimate cost that you gave me but I'm not sure in this matter since I have never used the service of a clocksmith.

4. Habitant Jan 12, 2014

If you go through with it, you might consider having it serviced here in the UK, where you might find costs lower. If you do, PM me and I can give you some recommendations.

5. timeismoney Jan 12, 2014

Hi, I am not an expert on Zenith but the second dial gave it away that it is a redial. The case is hammered, I would look for a better example instead of taking this one. You can buy it for parts but I wouldn't spend efforts on trying salvage this one...

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 12, 2014

There's not much to say about this watch. It is one of scores of thousands of fairly generic three hand watches Zenith produced in the 1950s. The dial is repainted and the case is a write-off. There is no special reason to put any money into this watch - you can find a better one any day on eBay.

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 12, 2014

+1. Back away slowly...

8. jannaj Jan 12, 2014

Needless to say that the reason why I was interested in this one was the low price but after your comments I've come to realize that it's still not worth it. Many thanks to you all!