Forums Latest Members

Unknown Universal Geneve Military Watch?

1. joewatches Oct 17, 2018

I recently acquired a job lot of watches and jewellery, as I spotted the universal geneve amongst the various bits and pieces. I noticed that the sub second hand was in different positions in each picture, indicating that the watch was working. I received the watch, it is working perfectly. However, I cant seem to find any information about the watch.
    The watch has a bumper movement, that I have identified as an AS 1171, that looks to have been fitted to a few different military style watches in the 40's eg Girard Perragaux, Fortis. The watch has unsigned Movement, it simply says 'swiss'. The back case has no markings, and unscrews like a jam jar, quarter turn and it pops off.
    The watch has practically cost me nothing, so there isn't much at stake here. I'd love to know more about it, if anyone has an opinion? IMG_6177.jpg IMG_6172.jpg IMG_6181.jpg IMG_6168.jpg IMG_6182.jpg

Thanks in advance.

2. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 17, 2018

I'm not sure which of the parts have ever been in the UG factory but I guess none

Larry S likes this.
  3. bgrisso Oct 17, 2018

can you post inside and outside caseback pics ?

4. joewatches Oct 19, 2018

The inside of the case back has no markings, the outside says the usual 'fond acier inoxydable'

IMG_6178.jpg
  5. joewatches Oct 19, 2018

It came from somewhere....

6. bgrisso Oct 19, 2018

Hmm strange that case and mvmt are not marked UG. Can you post a close up of the UG text on the dial?

7. Diabolik Oct 19, 2018

I don't think it is anything to do with universal geneve, more like a re-dialed run of the mill watch relabelled ...

Hands are not UG
    Lume looks recent. A test would be to check if it is radium
    The dial is a re-dial
    Movement is an AS. Ug used their own movements (at that time)
    and the case has nothing to do with UG

Duffer but wear it if you like it. A great conversation starter ...

Larry S likes this.
  8. joewatches Oct 22, 2018

sure! IMG_0009.jpg IMG_0010.jpg IMG_0011.jpg

9. bgrisso Oct 22, 2018

I don’t know what is going on with this watch, as it is very odd in many ways, as others have pointed out. But the UG dial text on its own, I find quite convincing, whatever that suggests, I don’t know. So many other things are very wrong.

10. joewatches Oct 22, 2018

It’s very odd, it’s likely we’ll never know.

Thanks for taking the time.

11. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 23, 2018

I doubt the originality of this one. Look at the E's in Geneve: all different