Forums Latest Members
  1. JynxTime Mar 18, 2021

Edited Jul 29, 2021
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 18, 2021

It’s not real. Run .. Run fast.

10H10, CafeRacer, aap and 1 other person like this.
  3. JynxTime Mar 18, 2021

dammit... are you positive ? I bought it from Hess Fine Auctions which is pretty established but considering I bought it almost 2 years ago I doubt they'd give me my money back

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 18, 2021

Yes I’m positive ... I needed 5 nano seconds with that case and dial. Consider your noob tax paid. Poor print quality. There should be SN and Ref # in the back .. if you can, remove the back and show us the movement and inside case. Lume on hands, none on dial, markers seem sloppy. The pics are terrible.

Mark020 likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 18, 2021

The buckle is a 80/90’s logo. The watch is a mystery.

6. MikeMan2727 Mar 18, 2021

Hess is established in that it has been around for a long time and constantly does eBay auctions. I don't think they know vintage watches very well.

boat2dan likes this.
  7. Dan S Mar 18, 2021

Well, I think it's fair to say that he has some knowledge, at least in certain areas. :D
    But things slip through the cracks all too often in their listings.

[​IMG]

apsm100 and Larry S like this.
  8. MikeMan2727 Mar 18, 2021

I doubt Jeffrey Hess personally catalogues every watch listed on eBay and has expert knowledge of all watch brands, but I may be wrong.

The listings I have seen from Hess have been described by different employees who are named at the start of every listing. A few random examples:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Patek...trava-Watch-/393026333461?hash=item5b8231eb15Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    "Described by: Georgia TESSS 26243"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ball-Proto...Wrist-Watch-/402578327363?hash=item5dbb89c743Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    "Described By: Michelle TQSSS 26312"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Rare...ocket-Watch-/333911187421?hash=item4dbea85fddPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    "Described by: VLR TUKSS 28951"

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 18, 2021

Over the years we’ve seen lots of slips from respected auction houses. Its not unusual. This is pretty egregious. Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news.

Mark020 likes this.
  10. JynxTime Mar 18, 2021

I actually talked to Jeffery Hess earlier today, I asked if there was any way he could send me the listing information. He legitimately laughed on the phone and said I wasted 10-20$ of his time. (edit : he did apologize after and I have no hard feelings. I'm a little fish in his big pond and they sell a ton of stuff) Such a shame because I've already purchased a handful of items from them including a painting that's arriving today. Showed the Ebay account to several collectors I know, we even made a group chat to discuss what we're bidding on ::facepalm1:: time to make some calls

Edited Mar 18, 2021
    Mark020 likes this.
  11. JynxTime Mar 18, 2021

lets hope its actually 18k at the bare minimum...maybe some melt value

12. Dan S Mar 18, 2021

Oh, you're not wrong, and like I said, things slip through the cracks all the time there. The throughput is massive. I was just pointing out that there is some vintage watch knowledge there.

Larry S likes this.
  13. JynxTime Mar 18, 2021

Posted essentially the same thing on reddit without mentioning the double stamp, this is the quote from a comment I just got

"That’s a 1950’s Uni-Compax, and I’m guessing it was sold by Sears and Roebuck co. As Sears and Roebuck used to sell watches under their Stellaris brand."

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 18, 2021

Then it would not be branded UG. It is very obviously a redial. We need to see the inside case and movement to help you figure out what you have. What did you pay for it? Yes it is a Uni Compax configuration. I own three collector grade Uni Compax from that era. Look, it’s not a terrible looking piece, it’s just not what you thought it was. We’ve all been there.

jumpingsecond and aap like this.
  15. bgrisso Mar 18, 2021

Not even close.

16. Florent Mar 19, 2021

Garbage ...

17. vujen Mar 19, 2021

for sure it's not an UG but at this point I am curious to see it opened! :D

Larry S likes this.
  18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2021

Yea that’s where I am. If UG did make watches for Sears, for instance, that would be interesting. ::popcorn::

19. watchdude1 Oct 26, 2023

Jeff Hess here. Apologies to all who are upset at our little companies' listings. (and thanks to all who have bought from us)

Yeah, growing as a "Company" and attending to collectors' need for accuracy and originality are often try as we might, not very parallel. This sucks because, as a guy who started (And remains) a collector, it really hurts me when a new employee describes one of the thousand or so watch we buy per week inaccurately and his or her description. is inaccurate (or just dumb) . The problem is mine though. At the "end of the day" when one of our 45 employees posts something inaccurate and our it slips through our watchmaker's or senior employees fingers as well, it is me who gets raked over the coals on wonderful forums like this one and others. I often say at team meetings "hey guys please be careful and ask someone if you don't really know. When you misdescribe a watch, I get the joy of seeing someone online say "Man, Hess is an idiot" or "Hess is a criminal". That really smarts. BTW, often when there is an error someone will email me directly (I am not hard to find....lol) (or sends a note to my wife, who runs our three auction businesses) and we fix it. Don't be shy. Again sorry about this.

aap and Boojumhunter like this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 26, 2023

This could be the first mea culpa on an OF thread from an auction house or dealer? Wow! Well done sir.

aap, jumpingsecond and watchdude1 like this.