Forums Latest Members
  1. Dirtydan Oct 21, 2018

Hello everybody,

I bought a 1969 Omega seamaster with cal. 564 this year. I have noticed it makes a strange "thud" noise when I rotate the watch. It is not the rotor and it is not a bumper movement.

I can also feel a slight weight shift of the watch when I rotate it and hear the noise. Once again it is not the rotor as I have opened it and heard the noise with out the rotor moving.

Otherwise it keeps excellent time -15 seconds a day and holds 48 hours of power reserve. Once i bought it i took it to an omega AD and was advised it won't need service. It has also not been dropped at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 20180910_160336.jpg IMG_20180703_091734_709.jpg 20180910_160422.jpg

Thanks for the help!

2. Dan S Oct 21, 2018

Is the movement loose in the case? I see the case clamp with a screw, but I just felt it was necessary to ask since it's the most obvious thing.

Edit: Beautiful Seamaster!

Dirtydan likes this.
  3. Dirtydan Oct 21, 2018

Thanks Dan!

That was my first guess as I don't think I noticed it before I took it to the AD. Their watchmaker just did a regulation on the watch so I suppose he took the movement out the case and didn't screw them back on tight.

But I don't have the necessary tools other than a case back opener to check if that really is the case.

4. Dan S Oct 21, 2018

He wouldn't have needed to remove the movement to regulate it, but who's to say what he did. It's a plausible thing to consider. If you can remove the case-back, you could gently insert something soft, like a toothpick, between the movement and case and see if the movement easily moves around inside the case. You don't need to apply a lot of force - if it doesn't move easily, that's not what is causing the noise. If it moves, you can center the movement and simply tighten the screws on the case clamps.

Otherwise, there could be something loose moving around inside the movement, and you should have it checked out.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 22, 2018

Like Dan said, could be a loose movement. Or it could be a loose rotor swinging around and hitting the edge of a bridge.
    If you can't troubleshoot it yourself it's best to take it to your tame watchmaker.

6. Dirtydan Oct 22, 2018

Thanks to the both of you! I have a busy schedule ahead so I won't be able to test that theory for a couple more days.

7. Dirtydan Oct 23, 2018

So I checked to see if it was the movement being loose and it does not seem to move when I use the toothpick method. I will take it to a watch make once I have the time and money for the service.

felsby likes this.
  8. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Oct 25, 2018

Good idea. Be sure to take good care of your beautiful - and not very often seen - watch! DIBS, if relevant :)