Forums Latest Members

University Studies Survey - Research Project on Luxury Watch Brands

1. salmeida86 Sep 18, 2013

Hi!
    At the University of Aveiro, Portugal, we are involved with a research project on luxury watch brands in which we would like to study satisfaction, perceived value, quality, involvement and brand loyalty. We have developed a survey to study luxury watch brands. The success of this study depends largely on your collaboration. Accordingly, we would like to request your cooperation in responding to this survey. To facilitate your cooperation surveys are in the following languages: Portuguese, English, German, French, Russian and Chinese. By answering this questionnaire, we kindly request you to mark the answer you consider most appropriate for each of the questions. There are no right or wrong answers. The information provided is strictly confidential and intended solely for the purpose of data processing and statistical analysis. Many thanks for your cooperation.

http://questionarios.ua.pt/index.php/491995/lang-en

2. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Sep 18, 2013

Why? What is it you hope to achieve or understand? Why should we help you? A lot more information would be appropriate IMO

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 18, 2013

Its ok, she asked us first for permission before posting, I had to do a couple of these during my university studies and collect data and its never an easy thing to do as people don't want to take time out of their busy days to do it, but I still had to try. There's absolutely no need to answer it if you don't want to, but we did check it out to make sure it was legitimately tied to an educational institution and not a marketing company :)

salmeida86 likes this.
  4. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Sep 18, 2013

Thanks Ash, that's all I wanted to know really, that it is legit.

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 18, 2013

Done........hope you do well with this research project

salmeida86 likes this.
  6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 18, 2013

Thanks Ash.

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 19, 2013

Interesting survey. At least I didn't have to confirm that I am "Larger than 50" :)

salmeida86 and JohnSteed like this.
  8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 19, 2013

It does seem to centre on people who are more concerned with what other people think of them because of their expenditure.

"I buy what I buy for my own pleasure and couldn't give a sh1t what other people think about it", didn't seem to be an option anywhere.

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 19, 2013

Yeah, I started doing it but gave up.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 19, 2013

I would like to see all the Rolex forums results::stirthepot::

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 19, 2013

Well it is a Luxury watch brand survey. Probably 95% of the buyers falls in that category. We, as Gavin say, are watch nerd and nuts who had different way of seeing watch. In term of statistic, outliers.
    Surveys from our forum should be treated carefully because may skew the result if our forum participants are high enough......

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 19, 2013

I'm never high enough !

watchme and Privateday7 like this.
  13. JohnSteed Sep 25, 2013

survey done. good luck at skool.

salmeida86 likes this.
  14. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 25, 2013

Having looked at the survey, it appears, to me, to be a legitimate study that seeks data on the degree to which respondents internalise a brand and explores, amongst other things, the level of external locus of control versus internal locus of control amongst those who choose to buy veblen goods, like brand name watches. Watch fora participants are the ideal respondents because their posts, if you view them through particular prisms, reveal much about the underlying motives for their brand associations, and that's why we shamelessly call ourselves WISs.

One telling question asks about how respondents feel amongst friends who also share enthusiasm for the brand. Isn't that what this forum is about?

I can, though, understand how some of the questions would be confronting, particularly if we think we have used rational means to arrive at a brand decision, when pretty well all of the evidence shows that people buy brands (and do most behaviours) intuitively and emotionally first and then attempt to rationalise afterwards. The questions reflect that body of evidence, and can cause a bit of cognitive dissonance for those of us who haven't yet encountered them as we continue on our journey of self-discovery.

The question, "I buy what I buy for my own pleasure and couldn't give a sh1t what other people think about it", belongs in a completely different survey.

So, I'd make a plea to support the poor girl in her work as she's trying to learn something about human motivation and behaviour. She's done her homework and now she wants to test it. We can help her learn by digging deep enough to answer the questions with as much self-knowledge as possible.

Cheers

Desmond

salmeida86, SpikiSpikester and dsio like this.
  15. ulackfocus Sep 25, 2013

There wasn't an option to answer "I buy a watch because I'm filling the gap for a __________ (fill in a certain complication, model or caliber) in my collection". :p

16. deerworrier Sep 26, 2013

I started to do it but the questions are to me, nonsensical. wrong place to be asking this sort of stuff. WIS are not your typical watch buyers. best bet would be to hand out as a paper questionnaire to flash idiots leaving the AD's with the big brand printed posh bag.

Privateday7 likes this.
  17. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2013

Modern watch forums seem to be exactly the right place for these questions - perhaps less so in Vintage forums.