Forums Latest Members
  1. AFOHCANV Jan 4, 2015

My father recently passed away, and after cleaning out some drawers I found this Universal Tri-Compax with Moonphase watch. Can you guys help me out to evaluate it in these regards:

1. Year of the watch
    2. Reference number
    3. Value (Current value and value after the dial face has been restored)
    4. Suggestions on repairing the dial face
    5. Where to get the watch serviced
    6. What would be a good band to it out with

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

IMG_0932.JPG
  2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 4, 2015

Some additional photos of the case back (inside and out, if possible) would be helpful for identification. There should be two numbers on the case back. - a serial number and a shorter (5-digit) reference number. I suspect the reference number will be 22536, and that the case will measure 37 mm across, not including the crown. It looks a lot like mine:

[​IMG]

The watch is probably from the mid to late 1940's. The movement will likely be a cal 287. Restoration of the dial is a tricky issue... and someone has already tried with this watch. If the watch is intact and running or requiring just a service/cleaning, I would expect it to fetch something like $2k at auction. Most collectors won't be interested in a repainted dial, so the impact on the value may be small unless it is a really superb job. The best thing would be to locate an unretouched replacement dial. I'll let others chime in on your other questions.

3. waXology Jan 5, 2015

It looks like it's a smaller 34mm version. You can tell be the spacing between the 'Tri' and the left sub dial.

4. AFOHCANV Jan 5, 2015

It looks to be a little smaller than yours. The 9 and 3 are barely visible as part of the design of the dial. I have attached some other pictures for viewing. There are no numbers on the back of the watch.

IMG_0936.JPG IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0938.JPG IMG_0939.JPG
  5. AFOHCANV Jan 6, 2015

Any other thoughts on this watch?

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 7, 2015

Thanks for the extra photos. It would be interesting to see the inside of the case back and the movement, which might inspire more commentary about dating and valuation.

7. AFOHCANV Jan 7, 2015

I will see what I can do. Right now I am looking into finding a reputable service location to have the watch serviced.