Forums Latest Members
  1. mr.kaplan Dec 2, 2015

Hello, any thoughts about this watch?
    Is the caliber 283 correct for this watch (shouldn't it be 285?)?
    Is the dial all right?
    Any price suggestions?

Thanks

2. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 2, 2015

The reference number suggests that the watch should contain a cal 285 or 287, but given that the diameter of those two movements are much bigger (31.7mm and 33.2mm respectively) they would not be able to fit into a case made for a cal 283 (29.5mm). Meaning it would help to know the diameter of your example. Ref 22420 is a correct reference number for a Medico, but its case diameter is 35mm (so a cal 285) while a case for a 283 cal is generally 33mm. If the case is 34.5 it's possible the movement was mislabeled by the manufacture, but if it is 33mm I think that the caseback most likely came from a different source and would not and should not fit on this case.

Original finish dial. Incorrect sweep second chrono hand

PatrickJ likes this.
  3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 2, 2015

Jordn,

1. The hour and minute hands seem to be of a slightly different design and not proportionate. Are you of the opinion that they are of the same set?

2. The H.P.C. looks like it could possibly be slightly crooked and of a lighter ink. Perhaps a later edition? Perhaps not?

Edit: On second look, H.P.C. and the signed portion of the dial are of the same brightness and font, so likely it's original.

4. Rman Dec 2, 2015

I believe the sweep seconds hand belongs to a Longines I was looking at from the 40s. Dial looks great to me.

5. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 2, 2015

Looks ok to me, but differing opinions are always welcome, of course. Let me see if I can find comparable archive examples.

PatrickJ likes this.
  6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 3, 2015

Yeah, the hour hand is more like a - hmm, arrowhead shape, while the minute hand is a leaf shape. I don't remember coming across a set like that before with UG. It looks a bit odd. I would expect both to be leaf shaped.

7. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 4, 2015

20151204_154521.jpg
    20151204_160145.jpg

The top example is from an ad. I believe the hour hand is probably incorrect. Perhaps the minute hand too? In any case, the OP's watch is not a ref. 22420. The example from the UG archives does not have chamfers on the lugs.

Edited Dec 9, 2015
    PatrickJ likes this.
  8. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 4, 2015

Yes, I'd say at least one is incorrect. Of the two, I'd say the minute hand has a good chance of being original.

9. mr.kaplan Dec 9, 2015

Sorry I had to delete the photos. Please if possible delete also my photo that was reposted. Many thanks

10. 10H10 Dec 9, 2015

If you ask to a forum, please let the topic complete, it's not one way...

11. mr.kaplan Dec 9, 2015

Yes, you are right but I was asked by the dealer.
    I usually post photos also before buying watches (so when they are not mine), for asking suggestions, and I never had problems (usually watch dealers are even happy because it may be a kind of ads)
    This time the owner of the watch asked me to delete the photos and so I did.
    Sorry again

12. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2015

You weren't using the photos to profit from, just to ask about the watch. Any dealer that asked you to remove their pictures would lead me to believe that the watch isn't kosher, they know that, and they don't want that to be public knowledge when a bunch of collectors pick it apart.

ELV web likes this.
  13. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 9, 2015

I don't mean to be difficult, but I'm on the fence about this. On one hand I don't want to put you in a difficult situation with the dealer, but I also think the picture should stay up for the sake of the people who come here to learn about these watches. In a perfect world, dealers should be more knowledgeable about the watches they sell instead of peddling incorrect examples (i.e. frankens, redials, etc.) to unsuspecting buyers as genuine articles - whether or not they do it knowingly. I know some "reputable" dealers who are just now getting into the UG game and a few of them are more than willing to make ethical compromises. I'm not saying that's what happened here since mistakes do happen, but let me think about it while I go for a run :D.

ELV web likes this.
  14. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 9, 2015

Yes, unless the dealer sent you these photos privately (in which case I can understand - you having revealed them publicly), I don't feel he really has a right to tell you or us not to post them on this forum. If he's operating a store front, he should be prepared for his photos to be shared and his watches to be scrutinized.

15. mr.kaplan Dec 9, 2015

You are totally right, still in this case it's a little bit more complicated: actually the photo I posted was sent me privately (though similar photos were public) so maybe I should have asked the dealer before.

16. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 9, 2015

The fact that the picture was sent privately is not all a factor for me, but I took it down. Didn't really want to be a dick about it since I have no skin in the game :p

17. mr.kaplan Dec 10, 2015

Thank you, I do too have a even bigger passion for freedom than for watches, but I just didn't want to argue with the dealer.

18. PHPHD Dec 10, 2015