Forums Latest Members
  1. jban Nov 5, 2016

Is there a "list" of watchmakers who are Universal Geneve strong? I would like to get the one I recently picked up to be carefully cla'd as perfectly and sympathetically as possible and would like to use someone who maybe specialized in this maker.
    Thanks, Jeff

2. rolokr Nov 5, 2016

Where do you live Sir ?

3. jban Nov 5, 2016

Florida, USA

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 6, 2016

What you need ... a watchmaker who specializes in vintage restoration. This includes the ability to manufacture or source needed parts. Your strip mall battery changer won't be able to touch UG but there watchmakers in the us that are very good. Don't look for bargains though. Guys like this charge top dollar but you will be happy with the job.

5. rolokr Nov 6, 2016

Time King Houston Tx
    Danna
    979-824-4602

jban likes this.
  6. jban Nov 6, 2016

Don't worry, my UG is in no danger of getting into the hands of anyone less than a competent watchmaker. I know which direction to go with Rolex and most would be competent with the Universals but sometimes there is a combination of attributes with different technicians that would make one a better choice, like a good stash of parts, etc.

I'm pretty sure that this watch is just in need of a proper cleaning and lubrication. The only problems the watch has is the seconds register resets 7 seconds before the 12 exactly every time it is reset, no matter where it is when stopped and the reset pusher is a little extended out. I hope that neither of these problems require new parts. The amount of gunk that was built up in the recesses of the case when I got it makes me feel that any maintenance would have been in the distant past.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 6, 2016

I'd budget at least $300 for a three hand watch. For a chronograph you are at $600 - 1800 depending on what it needs. I'd say there is a general hesitancy on recommendations for various reasons. Most of us have found watchmakers that we like to use. Do your research, call them up, ask questions check references and decide which is right for you. On line reviews need to reference restoration, antique, vintage and satisfaction with the work. If all you see is battery change stories...avoid. If you search the forum you will find names to contact.

billving and jban like this.