Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve watch service recommendations in NYC?

1. EdwardNY Aug 3, 2017

I've been on a 1940s-50s UG watch buying spree lately and all of the watches need service. Who can recommend a reasonable priced solid watch shop in NYC for the 40-50s Compax chronos? I also have a minty 50s Tri-Compax that needs service and I wouldn't mind spending more for a top expert service on that watch. Who would you entrust that to?

Thanks,

Edward

watch3s likes this.
  2. jumpingsecond Aug 3, 2017

I trust Central Watch in grand central station- again- they're expensive - but they have the team to fix mostly anything and they don't mess with the dial, case, etc. Just be clear what you want /don't want, etc.

Another guy is Dimitrie Vicovanu in the jewelry district but GL getting him to work on something substantial as he's always booked for months and months. If they're small repairs you can take it to him while he's in the shop and he usually does them while you wait - and you get to see a an absolute horological wizard at work!

watch3s and JamesL1680 like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 3, 2017

Overall, having checked references of shops specializing in antique restoration regardless of brand with good parts networks and the ability to fabricate, here is the conversation you need to have:

"I have some UG to service, no dial work no polish." "Are UG's especially difficult to repair? Answer : "No. Here is your claim check and we'll call you with an estimate and a detailed work plan." The next call should inform you of the repairs needed, a 4-6 week lead time and an overall price of less than $600. (Unless you are talking about major damage and case welding)

Some watchmakers simply don't want to deal with them, others regard them as just another old watch to fix.

4. propervinyl Aug 3, 2017

@jumpingsecond when you say they are expensive, do you mean in the $600 range, or higher?

5. jumpingsecond Aug 3, 2017

Yes- that's the range. I only go there if it's something really rare and I need the peace of mind that it'll be okay.

propervinyl likes this.
  6. propervinyl Aug 3, 2017

Thank you!

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 3, 2017

It needs to be said that price is no guarantee of quality.

propervinyl and Larry S like this.
  8. propervinyl Aug 4, 2017

IMO, the only indication of quality I would trust is a recommendation from a member of this forum.

9. jumpingsecond Aug 4, 2017

I agree. No guarantee in life but death & taxes...Unless you have a certain Panamanian accounting firm and a bungalow in cayman isles :rolleyes: