Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Tricompax - Rehab/restore/repair?

1. Sneev Jan 2, 2022

Hi all— recently inherited my grandfather’s circa early 1950s (I think, based on info here) Universal Geneve Tricompax.

I know nothing about watches, but after a quick internet search it looks like a cool thing to have, and a great way to remember him by. However it needs some TLC.

What would be the best way to get it serviced/rehabilitated? I live in Tennessee and don’t really know where to start to look/who to trust with it. It doesn’t have a pusher, the case needs some rehab, the crystal is a bit scratched, and I’m sure it hasn’t been serviced in probably over 15 years.

Just want to do right by the watch and the guy who wore it. Any advice?

rolokr likes this.
  2. Sneev Jan 2, 2022

Here’s a pic of the watch:

17078263-48B1-4107-B283-9D436FD2B718.jpeg
    rolokr, Ted1858, AAAKK and 5 others like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 2, 2022

Good news is that this a valuable watch in honest condition. Not many of this model are out in the market. If that’s a GF bracelet, all the better. We’d need more pics on that. The bad news is the missing small pusher. That’s going to be a challenge to source. If the watch was all intact, 6-8k, so it’s worth restoring. Collector grade models can go higher. Were this mine I’d service the movement and replace the pusher, take scuffs out of crystal. No case, dial or hands work. You will kill the value. Two thoughts.. RGM in Mount Joy PA does restoration work on UG. I’d also recommend MJ Watch Service in Glenview IL. (They are great with UG). I’d reach out to both. I’d budget a grand to get this sorted. In both cases, send as much detail and discuss before shipping.

allwoundup, Syzygy, rosspo and 7 others like this.
  4. Sneev Jan 2, 2022

Awesome. I will reach out to see what they say.

Two quick follow ups.

Can you tell me what you mean by GF?

Here are some pictures of where there's oxidization on the case. You said no case work, but would getting these spots out be a bad idea?

IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but again, total noob here. Really appreciate the help.

IMG_3054.jpg IMG_3052.jpg
    Duracuir1 likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 2, 2022

It’s just dirty SS case. Watchmaker will clean it. No polishing though. GF = Gay Feres …

Mark020 and Sneev like this.
  6. bgrisso Jan 2, 2022

Beautiful Tri Compax, congratulations. Looks like a 22297/1 ? Are the case reference and serial visible on the case back ? As Larry said, I think that pusher cap is a very tough part to find, but maybe you can get lucky with patience. In the meantime, fit the closest pusher you can find, get it serviced, and enjoy

Larry S likes this.
  7. ConElPueblo Jan 2, 2022

Absolutely beautiful watch, wear it in good health.

The Gay Freres logo will be in the clasp like this:

[​IMG]

Don't worry if it isn't, it's just a very minor detail.

Larry S likes this.
  8. Burr Jan 3, 2022

Really great tri, congrats! +1 to what everyone else has said here, no polish and dont replace/touch dial/hands — be sure to specify this with the watchmaker, as a polish is usually standard with a full service. You’ve inherited a desirable and beautiful watch.

I had my tri compax’s movement serviced at Geneva Watch Repair in SF and they did a great job. As mentioned RGM comes highly recommend here with regards to servicing universal Geneva watches. I’d start with RGM and go from there — I had an interesting problem come up with my tri where the first few service shops I went to didnt have the right tool to take off the case back, Geneva watch repair was the first shop I came across in my area that could open up the case back which is why I ended up going with them.

Good luck finding that pusher!! It’ll be worth it.

rolokr and Sneev like this.
  9. LesXL Jan 3, 2022

Great watch, and even better to have as a memory of your grandfather.

As previous users said, have a good (!) watchmaker service it, and as advised, cleaning the case rather than polishing it, Once of that done, you will have something you will enjoy wearing and that possibly go on to the following generations :)

Congratulations!

Sneev likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 3, 2022

22297/1 SS indices. Mine has same shape indices in gold but is a /2.

Sneev likes this.
  11. Radiumpassion Jan 3, 2022

Great watch! Since we are talking in codes I think it looks
    more like a JB than a GF;)

12. Sneev Jan 3, 2022

Thanks to all who've helped and encouraged! I'll get into touch with these places and see what they say.

As to people's questions/comments --

It's the 22297/1.
    IMG_3050.jpg

The band is a "Forstner Komfit." The band just barely fits my wrist, so I may want to change that out. Open to recs on bands that would look good with it, if anyone has strong opinions.

Thanks again for all the help!

Carlton-Browne and Radiumpassion like this.
  13. TexOmega Jan 3, 2022